Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 05:21 PM

Re: Coffee and Tea Capsules

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I know I must be the equivalent to the village idiot, but I've never bought coffee from machines either.
I've never heard of coffee or tea capsules.

I like my two cups of fresh coffee made in my cafetiere and my endless cuppas made with tea bags in a pot.

If it gets cold then what's the microwave for?!
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 05:21 PM

Agree Realist. One thing you fforgot is the problem of landfill - if we used pods, the number of used would amount to about 3000 per year to put in the bin.

I have just put my Bosch coffee machine in a charity shop. Bosch introduced the ffirst gold plated filter, saving tonnes of waste paper. I bought it new as a staff purchase some thirty years ago. I now have a Panasonic.

For superb coffee, what is the best method? Forget convenience!
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 05:30 PM

I dont/cant drink coffee it makes me ill.. I love the smell but the fact I dont drink it makes me a freak in these parts.

The other thing that makes me odd is that I dont have one of those awful pod/pad machines. I have a filter holder like Megs which I use for visitors, apart from that its tea tea and tea in this household..
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
For superb coffee, what is the best method? Forget convenience!
Well, for a real shot of coffee you require pressure, at least 9 bars of pressure. It is the pressure that separates out the oils from the coffee beans/grinds and creates the "crema" on top.

People using filter machines or anything else that doesn't put the coffee under pressure are not really making a proper shot of coffee. Even the handy espresso pots that you put on a hob are not doing that. All that filters and hob pots create is a watery liquid that has passed through some coffee grinds. It's ok, it's caffeine, but it at no stage creates a real shot of espresso to use on its own or in say a latte.

9 bars of pressure are needed to squeeze out those vital oils and you only get that from a proper expensive coffee machine or one of the pod machines.

It's a dilemma because whilst many of us greatly enjoy a real proper shot of coffee (as per coffee shops) we just can't get that at home unless we spend many £hundreds or bite the bullet and grab a cheap pod machine and thus have inferior coffee to start with.

No easy solution sadly.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 06:21 PM

For home use there are a number of "bean to cup" machines you can buy but they aren't cheap. For example:

The Jura E6

A snip at £625 ! It will provide 15 bars of pressure to get the perfect shot.

Or

The Gaggia Naviglio Deluxe

A mere £399 at House Of Fraser

And so on

These machines will deliver a real shot of espresso with the crema but you'll have to "manage" them, clean them out regularly, discard the coffee grinds etc etc.

It comes down to how serious you are about your coffee, how important it is to you.

For myself, I mostly drink tea at home and drink lattes when I am out and about, so I can't justify one of these machines at home. They take up valuable workspace in the kitchen and unless you are using them a lot, the cost is a bit prohibitive.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
A coffee machine is very convenient but the pods are rapidly becoming a menace to the environment:

https://www.honestcoffees.com/blog/e...g-coffee-pods/

My conscience is clear: our coffee machine does not use plastic pods. The coffee pads we use are exactly like large tea bags. Paper only; no plastic.

They are cheaper no doubt for the same reason.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 10:22 PM

I use a Tassimo and really love the taste, I only drink about two cups per day. I get my coffee delivered to the door, a 24hour service. Nespresso also supply a recycle bag for used capsules which they pick up when I tell them it's full.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
I use a Tassimo and really love the taste, I only drink about two cups per day. I get my coffee delivered to the door, a 24hour service. Nespresso also supply a recycle bag for used capsules which they pick up when I tell them it's full.
That's interesting I didn't know they had that service I'll have to look into recycling them.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Their convenience is unmatched in being able to make a quick and "proper" cup of coffee. The problem is however, that it ties you into to one or more brands of pods and then your are tied in to the inferior and questionable coffee in those pods.
Nonsense, there are generic pods available made by many other coffee manufacturers that fit major brand machines.

http://www.bluepod.com.au/view/which-capsules-fit-your-coffee-machine/499

https://www.espressorium.com.au/blog/what-coffee-capsules-are-compatible-with-nespresso.html
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2017, 10:49 PM

@Julie

It's a nice green recycling bag too Or you can take them to your nearest Nespresso boutique..don't you just love those words....Nespresso boutique...it rolls off the tongue..sounds so much better than Nescafé instant coffee which looks and tastes like warm mud.
I have also found the adverts with George Clooney are so much classier than the ones showing a working class mother pouring hot water of her instant granules...

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top