Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2017, 07:54 AM

Craft Show at Doncaster.

Had a wonderful day out last Sunday (26th) at the "Crafting Live" show - Doncaster Race Course. Unlike other years it was not just papercrafts - there were lots of other crafts in evidence and plenty of demonstrations going on. For example:- screen printing, silk painting, knitting, crochet, jewellery making,glass staining etc., Also lots of fabrics available for dressmaking and/or patch working.

My first stop was at a large stall selling Craft Creations products where I stocked up with lots of lovely Christmas decoupage papers. Had to stop and chat to the artist, Pollyanna Pickering, she was sitting quietly at her easel at the back of the hall - painting a Cheetah with cubs - it was so lifelike I wanted to stroke it! Lovely person, very knowledgable and passionate about wildlife.

Do any of you crafters own a Brother Scan'n'Cut? Mel Heaton (Create and Craft) was doing life TV demonstrations of this machine and it looked amazing - but too complicated for me. If I were making cards to sell as a business I might consider one but for now I am happy with my EBosser. Mel was lovely with her audience though and answered all their questions very patiently.

I was happy to find a demonstrator from Tonic Dies there - as, before last Christmas, I bought a set of their dies that arrived with no instructions whatever on how to use them to best advantage. While I do not claim to be an expert I am not exactly a novice either but could not figure them out. She was very happy to show me where I was going wrong.

The most incredible stall was one selling Cross Stitch kits and framed pictures - some of which had been worked on silk and looked more like photographs than cross stitch !

So what did I buy? Craft Creations decoupage, lots of double sided tape, a couple of Christmas dies, a couple of lovely flower stencils, some 'non shed' glitter card, and a 'Groovi' parchment plate with an image of three cats.

There was so much to see and the time just sped passed - I could not believe it when the tannoy announced they were closing and would we all, please, go home !!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2017, 08:21 AM

Re: Craft Show at Doncaster.

Just goes to show how complex the art of crafting can be. Enjoyed reading about your trip, it brought back a few memories of my trips to Donny race course for tropical fish show events.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2017, 08:46 AM

Thanks, Nom, it is a great venue for exhibitions - good for 'income generation' when there is no racing.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2017, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Thanks, Nom, it is a great venue for exhibitions - good for 'income generation' when there is no racing.
I agree, they are also great ways to spend lots of cash on things i did not know i wanted.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

30-03-2017, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I agree, they are also great ways to spend lots of cash on things i did not know i wanted.
LOL!! Been there - done that too !
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2017, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Had a wonderful day out last Sunday (26th) at the "Crafting Live" show - Doncaster Race Course. Unlike other years it was not just papercrafts - there were lots of other crafts in evidence and plenty of demonstrations going on. For example:- screen printing, silk painting, knitting, crochet, jewellery making,glass staining etc., Also lots of fabrics available for dressmaking and/or patch working.

My first stop was at a large stall selling Craft Creations products where I stocked up with lots of lovely Christmas decoupage papers. Had to stop and chat to the artist, Pollyanna Pickering, she was sitting quietly at her easel at the back of the hall - painting a Cheetah with cubs - it was so lifelike I wanted to stroke it! Lovely person, very knowledgable and passionate about wildlife.

Do any of you crafters own a Brother Scan'n'Cut? Mel Heaton (Create and Craft) was doing life TV demonstrations of this machine and it looked amazing - but too complicated for me. If I were making cards to sell as a business I might consider one but for now I am happy with my EBosser. Mel was lovely with her audience though and answered all their questions very patiently.

I was happy to find a demonstrator from Tonic Dies there - as, before last Christmas, I bought a set of their dies that arrived with no instructions whatever on how to use them to best advantage. While I do not claim to be an expert I am not exactly a novice either but could not figure them out. She was very happy to show me where I was going wrong.

The most incredible stall was one selling Cross Stitch kits and framed pictures - some of which had been worked on silk and looked more like photographs than cross stitch !

So what did I buy? Craft Creations decoupage, lots of double sided tape, a couple of Christmas dies, a couple of lovely flower stencils, some 'non shed' glitter card, and a 'Groovi' parchment plate with an image of three cats.

There was so much to see and the time just sped passed - I could not believe it when the tannoy announced they were closing and would we all, please, go home !!
I have always liked the work of Pollyanna Pickering especially her bird paintings .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2017, 09:24 AM

Sounds like you had a great day ST. I would have liked to have met Pollyanna Pickering too, her work is superb. I can understand how the day went so fast, I used to spend hours just looking around WH Smith's when it was a proper art shop.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2017, 09:32 AM

Sounds like a great day out ! They have one locally each year I'll look out for it.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2017, 10:51 AM

And just across the road from the racecourse, in the old fire station, you will find 'Whitby's' Fish and chip restaurant. The best fish and chips this side of the 'Mason Dixon' line.....If I'm within a mile of that place it draws me in like water rushing down a plughole.....
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2017, 11:29 AM

I used to go to the autojumble there when I had the old motorbikes, sometimes to buy and sometimes to sell. Haven't been for years though, don't know even if they still have one...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top