Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 09:26 AM

Re: Woolies now pricing in round numbers.

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Is this happening in the UK? BTW I was really surprised when I visited the UK that you still had copper coins for 1 and 2 pence as 5c (2.5p) has been our smallest coin for donkeys years. Have your copper coins gone yet?
I agree with you on both counts.

The £99.99 nonsense still persists and I can't think why. When I see a figure like that, because I am so used to seeing them, my mind automatically says £100. Who do they think they are conning?

I always seem to have some coppers (1p and 2p) in my pocket, probably because I never spend them. If I need to pay £9.99 I can't imagine putting together a £5 note, four £1 coins, a 50p coin, a 20p coin, two 10p coins, a 5p coin, a 2p coin and two 1p coins! Of course, I'd hand over a £10 note and, unfortunately, receive yet another 1p coin to add to my collection.
(I wonder how many of you counted them up to see if I'd got my sums right!)

I think you've got to ask yourself 'what is the least expensive item I can buy singly?' I'd challenge anyone to tell me about anything I can buy for 1p or 2p, or even 5p for that matter.

Yes, I can see absolutely no practical purpose of coppers and they should be discontinued.

Mind you, 1p and 2p coins are, in fact, useful for when the tin-rattlers come round
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Oh for god's sake! who cares? It is not relevant.
That was a bit rude wasn't it? I for one was not aware that you have a Woolworths unconnected to our chain which disappeared several years ago.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
You're not far out Annie.
Just looked it up and apparently all 807 shops closed around 6th Jan 2009.
Seems longer than that though, doesn't it.
Certainly does. The pick n mix was the best.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 01:14 PM

Hi

Makes it easier for the Aussies to add up.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Makes it easier for the Aussies to add up.
Are you suggesting they lack common cents?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Certainly does. The pick n mix was the best.

Sshh Annie, it's not relevant.

Dongles. . thank you.x
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 06:52 PM

The psychology of pricing items just under a round whole pound or dollar is well established and well proven. Despite the fact that most of us feel we are wise to the immaterial difference between £20 and £19.99, the plain fact is that the world is full of dumbed down moronic imbeciles who do nothing but watch soaps and Jeremy Kyle and the like and who flock to stores that seem cheaper.

The pricing structure works, it has worked for years and will continue to do so.

The Woolworths example Bruce cites simply won't last. It is utterly inevitable they will resort back to form. All it takes is for one competitor to offer the same product, which is $10 in Woolworths, for just $9/99c and people will go to the competitor. It's a futile strategy to round the prices.
Woolworths must surely know this so one should suspect that something else is going on. More likely they are simply making an excuse to put ALL their prices UP to the nearest dollar hoping that customers won't notice or care.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 08:06 PM

Perhaps if 1p (and 2p) coins were to be disposed of, marking prices as £1.99, for example, may be made illegal on the grounds that it would be impossible to make such a payment!

I suppose, then, we'd be seeing such things as £1.95
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2017, 08:15 PM

There was also another reason why they mark up prices like 9.99. Most people, as JB has pointed out, will offer a ten pound note. To give the change of one penny requires the assistant to open the till and the sale will be registered. Otherwise they could just give you the item and pocket the money......Who would know that it wasn't the item that was stolen and therefore lifts the blame from the assistant...
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2017, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Perhaps if 1p (and 2p) coins were to be disposed of, marking prices as £1.99, for example, may be made illegal on the grounds that it would be impossible to make such a payment!

I suppose, then, we'd be seeing such things as £1.95
It varies here whether they say $1.99 or $1.95 but as I mentioned less than 40% of transactions are carried out using cash so they do actually charge you $1.99 when you use a card.

Personally I always buy fuel with cash because $35.02 has to be rounded down to $35 or $35.07 to $35.05 so you can make if work in your favour a tiny bit.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top