Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2017, 04:18 PM

Re: Desktop freezes.

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Edwin, does it matter whether you download that from 'Piriform' or 'Ccleaner' or other, please?
I'm always suspicious what I am downloading.
this site http://filehippo.com/ is the safest to download it from Mups.
Mouse
New Member!
Netherlands
Mouse is male 

22-07-2017, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Yes - links to the internet.

How can a simple act like turning it on & off cure the problem? - that's what puzzles me.
Hi Carol,
The problem you are talking about can be on several levels. However, it sounds to me like you are talking about either bookmarks in your browser or tabs in your browser (IE).

First of all, I would highly recommend using Chrome like others here have mentioned already. It will make things a lot easier and IE has been marked by many shady figures as a go to platform to find people to abuse.
Downloading Chrome can be done here: https://www.google.com/chrome/browse...top/index.html

Next to that, I believe your cache is full. This means that your browser is storing a lot of things of websites, originally meant to make browsing quicker.
However, if this happens over the timespan of years, the program will find it difficult to find the right files and if the program isn't made well (which IE isn't), it will crash; making everything freeze.

See it this way: You use your browser and at some point you say that it has to go and fetch some files. So it goes into this massive library filled with a book about every website you have saved since you have been using the program. Now it has to find the file.. But when it does find the file, it doesn't remember the way back out of the library.

Which brings us to what I quoted of you. The program we are speaking about is rooted into your operating system; you installed it there. And for it to work, it needs to access files and a thing called the registry. However, when the program crashes, it leaves it up to Windows to straighten it out and Windows has a very similar system...

So in the end, this program can cause your operating system to become obsessed with solving something IE did and ignoring the rest. But then you are sick and tired of it and make it restart.
Poof! All memories of this event are stored to a log and locked away. And the start up sequence is quite stable, so then everything work again... until it has to fetch another book and gets lost.

So getting Chrome is better, because it handles your cache better (but still not perfect). And it would be useful to clean up the mess your programs have made over time, littering the library of Windows with useless information.
This can be done by using CCleaner which was already suggested. It's a nice program, just don't buy into the purchase options, you don't need them.
Piriform is the company behind CCleaner, so the best install files will always come from there. This is the link:
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

This program will basically go through all the things stored which aren't necessary (and also take a lot of space on your computer). Things like the cache and cookies of your browser, but also notes in the registry which make Windows unstable.

Hope this explained it a bit. Also keep in mind that the best case scenario is to reinstall your whole computer every 1-2 years. A program like CCleaner still depends on Windows and Windows isn't perfect like we all know. Completely reinstalling will actually delete everything and create a new base you can trust on.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2017, 09:11 PM

Mouse, if you look at post 2, I use Chrome and it still freezes on me sometimes.

I always run N.Cleaner, plus clear cookies etc on another programme, plus do scans, and updates, but none of this stops it freezing if it wants to.
Mouse
New Member!
Netherlands
Mouse is male 

24-07-2017, 01:53 PM

Hey Mups,
Definitely something else then hmm. I assume you are using Windows (since you are using Chrome), so you could try two things then:
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC, press more details and then look at what is happening. In case you don't use Windows 10 yet, you can do this by using CTRL+ALT+DELETE and looking through the tabs until you seen an overview of the current usage of CPU, Memory, Disk and Network.

It's possible that you are running programs on the background which are leeching your memory dry. Note that you can see this easily by filtering on one specific column (basically just press the category name).

If this doesn't uncover anything, you can also go to the eventlog. However, it would be easier to know what kind of Windows you are using then
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 02:49 PM

where to go with windows7 to clear out cache etc

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2017, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mouse ->
Hey Mups,
Definitely something else then hmm. I assume you are using Windows (since you are using Chrome), so you could try two things then:
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC, press more details and then look at what is happening. In case you don't use Windows 10 yet, you can do this by using CTRL+ALT+DELETE and looking through the tabs until you seen an overview of the current usage of CPU, Memory, Disk and Network.

It's possible that you are running programs on the background which are leeching your memory dry. Note that you can see this easily by filtering on one specific column (basically just press the category name).

If this doesn't uncover anything, you can also go to the eventlog. However, it would be easier to know what kind of Windows you are using then

Thanks Mouse, I try that when it goes again.

BTW, I am on Windows 7.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 11:24 PM

I use that c cleaner thingy on my windows 7 it's fine Mups!
I must study Realspeed's video on my laptop I think I need to know that!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top