Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2017, 10:12 AM

Savoury Bread and Cheese Pudding.

Morning everyone, went to my SIL’s (just around the corner from me) for midweek lunch yesterday. She is a vegetarian of over 20 years and a superb cook She is also a saint for going the extra mile for me on Christmas day as at that time as I have admitted to you, had no idea how to cook 2 simple (for most) fillet steaks for he who must obey and myself without it coming out tasting like shoe leather! (both turkey haters) Mind you, she admits she used her longest tongs when handling them.

Anyway, I digress, I really enjoy it when it's her turn to do lunch because as a Vegetarian, she comes up with the most delicious dishes which I wouldn’t normally ever think of doing, hence the reason I always plead for her to write out the recipe for me so I can treat he who must obey with the same. This dish was lovely and light and she served it with a small green salad and tiny slices of buttered french bread and a glass of sauvignon blanc. (I could have had a second glass but hey, it was Wednesday lunchtime). Let’s have a bit of decorum. It wouldn’t have been the done thing to be seen staggering home even if it is only around the corner, at that time of day!

I know she originally found this recipe online (as you do), searching myself I see there are several versions of the same, but this is the recipe she wrote out for me. Hope you enjoy it if you haven’t tried it already. I know I will be attempting it for Saturday lunch.

SAVOURY BREAD AND CHEESE PUDDING. (Serves 2)

4 x slices white bread
2 x slices strong Cheddar cheese
2 x eggs, beaten.
30ml x milk
Salt and Pepper
30g (2 tablespoons) grated cheese of your choice.

Preheat your oven to 180C/350F/Fan160C/Gas 4.

Using the 4 x slices of white bread, make two cheese sandwiches using the 2 slices of cheese, then cut each sandwich into 4 triangles.

Arrange the sandwiches in a lightly greased oven-proof dish.

Beat the eggs and add the milk and some salt and pepper.

Obviously, everyone is going to have a different size oven-proof dish so the amount of egg mix you put in will vary. The egg mixture does not need to fully cover the sandwiches, it’s up to you how much you put in, but it should soak into most of the sandwiches and leave a little in the bottom of the dish.

Sprinkle the grated cheese over the top

Bake for between 20-30 minutes. Keep an eye on it frequently after 20 minutes to ensure the edges don’t burn. Enjoy! I certainly did.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	cf0be5ea-a5bc-4397-9976-ceed4fa9b805.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	3106  
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2017, 10:25 AM

Re: Savoury Bread and Cheese Pudding.

Sounds delishious might give that a go for lunch !
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2017, 10:28 AM

As a vegetarian it sounds good to me and I will make it very soon . Think it's the sort of thing my 4 year old grandson would enjoy too
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2017, 11:21 AM

Sounds delicious ... I'll certainly give it a try
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2017, 11:24 AM

Sounds lovely ..I wonder if it will work with wholemeal bread?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2017, 12:51 PM

Oooh, you've got me there Cass. I don't know about wholemeal bread I'm sorry, I did just ask my SIL but she has only ever used the white bread.
Go on, give it a go and let us know how you get on, If it comes out nice that's brilliant as am sure would be much healthier than white bread, even if a study this week said that white bread is healthier than some brown breads (wholemeal was not mentioned but wholewheat was!) You can't win can you?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

08-06-2017, 12:56 PM

By the way, talking about wholemeal bread, just had my Tesco order delivered and had 6 x 400gm fresh uncut brown wholemeal loaves as on offer 2 for a £1. Rather stuck for space in my freezer as it is a fridge/freezer with a quick freeze at the top and four drawers. So, as I've done before, I cut each loaf in half, put the two halves into a freezer ziplock bag and I'm able to fit them in. They come out as fresh as when I put them in, once defrosted.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2017, 04:24 PM

This recipe sounds delicious but I do something similar for my dish. I make up the cheese sandwiches, pour beaten and seasoned egg (and sometimes add onion powder) onto a plate, coat the sandwiches both sides with the egg mixture, then fry in a hot pan, pouring in the rest of the egg.

Keep frying till egg browns, and the cheese melts, turning occasionally. It is so yummy!!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2017, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
This recipe sounds delicious but I do something similar for my dish. I make up the cheese sandwiches, pour beaten and seasoned egg (and sometimes add onion powder) onto a plate, coat the sandwiches both sides with the egg mixture, then fry in a hot pan, pouring in the rest of the egg.

Keep frying till egg browns, and the cheese melts, turning occasionally. It is so yummy!!
Hi

All these recipes sound lovely, but should be banned as I am on a diet.

This one sounds ideal to do with the littlies.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2017, 02:03 PM

Just made and eaten my own recipe. Enjoyed every mouthful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top