Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 08:02 AM

Tenerife

Last year, as some of you may remember, my step-daughter got married in Playa de las Americas, Tenerife. It was a big family affair with almost 24 family members and friends attending. A great holiday.

Tomorrow, I'm going back there. This time it's just the wife and myself - a rare event in that it's about 12 years since we had a break away for just the two of us.

This time we're going to be staying in Los Christianos, an area which is more geared towards couples than the sometimes noisy resort of 'Americas'. Can't wait

Anyone else been to Tenerife? Perhaps you know of some interesting things to do which I may have missed last time?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 10:33 AM

Re: Tenerife

Hi. We hired a car for a few days and circumnavigated the island, picking up a couple of hitchhikers on the way who, weirdly, knew people we knew and live not to far from us. We found a somewhat deserted but impressive cove at Mesa del Mar and had a nice lunch there.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Last year, as some of you may remember, my step-daughter got married in Playa de las Americas, Tenerife. It was a big family affair with almost 24 family members and friends attending. A great holiday.

Tomorrow, I'm going back there. This time it's just the wife and myself - a rare event in that it's about 12 years since we had a break away for just the two of us.

This time we're going to be staying in Los Christianos, an area which is more geared towards couples than the sometimes noisy resort of 'Americas'. Can't wait

Anyone else been to Tenerife? Perhaps you know of some interesting things to do which I may have missed last time?
Hi Floydy

I used to spend every Christmas and New Year in Tenerife.

Originally in Puerto de la Cruz(North)before the south became popular.

I remember Christianos as a fishing village with only one or two restaurants.....then as it grew.

Los Gigantes was also a favourite.

Did you do Teide?
If you are hiring a car there are some spectacular views if you are willing to travel/explore.

I believe most of the early Spaghetti westerns were filmed there and 1 million years BC.

love the place.

Are you interested in Scuba?

There are some great diving sites so doing a PADI course is worthwhile.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 01:41 PM

I was thinking about Mount Teide, Tpin, as I didn't manage to get there last time. There were too many of us to really branch out and explore the islands.

I'll be looking into a day trip up there as I've heard it's an amazing sight.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I was thinking about Mount Teide, Tpin, as I didn't manage to get there last time. There were too many of us to really branch out and explore the islands.

I'll be looking into a day trip up there as I've heard it's an amazing sight.
It is....then landscape is out of this world.

Two tips....take a jacket and make sure you have some sun barrier/block.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 03:42 PM

We went once in 1984. It really wasnt our type of place at all..

So that leaves room for everyone else ..
Hoping you have a lovely time.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 09:45 PM

I've been to Tenerife four times I think. Always stayed in Costa Adeje and loved it but used different hotels. All were very good.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

21-07-2017, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
I've been to Tenerife four times I think. Always stayed in Costa Adeje and loved it but used different hotels. All were very good.
Hi Flowerpower
Did you stay at the Flamingo Hotel by any chance? I've heard various reports about it.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
I've been to Costa adeje several times. It's the only area on that side of tenerife that I'd recommend and the hotel I like is called "Costa adeje gran". It still has a luxury feel to it and I've always experienced good service there. They also have a super rooftop terrace pool which is really nice because there aren't that many people there but there is a lovely view with a poolside bar/cafe.

Costa adeje is the posh bit and I'd say that's more for couples than anywhere else. I went to playa de las americas a few times but that was in my 20s and early 30s.

The best place I've been to in the canaries is La Gomera. It's a really beautiful island that's un-touristy and cool (in a backpacker/surfing dudes way). You can see Teide from there on a good day. I only went on a day trip but I mean to go back hiking in the mountains. It's really unspoilt and covered in lush vegetation and stunning scenery. They have loads of organic beauty products from the homegrown flora and fauna and the most amazing honey.

I've never been to the north of tenerife island but have a feeling its more interesting.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2017, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I've been to Costa adeje several times. It's the only area on that side of tenerife that I'd recommend and the hotel I like is called "Costa adeje gran". It still has a luxury feel to it and I've always experienced good service there. They also have a super rooftop terrace pool which is really nice because there aren't that many people there but there is a lovely view with a poolside bar/cafe.

Costa adeje is the posh bit and I'd say that's more for couples than anywhere else. I went to playa de las americas a few times but that was in my 20s and early 30s.

The best place I've been to in the canaries is La Gomera. It's a really beautiful island that's un-touristy and cool (in a backpacker/surfing dudes way). You can see Teide from there on a good day. I only went on a day trip but I mean to go back hiking in the mountains. It's really unspoilt and covered in lush vegetation and stunning scenery. They have loads of organic beauty products from the homegrown flora and fauna and the most amazing honey.

I've never been to the north of tenerife island but have a feeling its more interesting.
I like Costa Adeje too Annie, we stay at the Bahia Princess, and have always had good service there. Adeje is much quieter than Americas, well it is when we go usually early December. I don't like the high temperatures these days and find the winter months more manageable. I love the place!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top