Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 09:57 AM

Re: Quark

I seem to recall that Quark was a character in Startrek - Deep Space Nine.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 10:09 AM

Well we did a vegetarian mousakka with it and very nice it was too, it's quite a fresh zesty taste.

Would I buy it ? Probably not as I like my recipes as they are but if you want a low fat addition it's very nice.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 11:30 AM

Hi Julie, I read about this product a little while ago, Technically it is a cheese but can be used in a lot of dishes instead of greek yoghurt.

A good link is Graham's Family Dairy, where you will find some really rice recipes. Also try Goodtoknow. x
callistra
london uk
callistra is female  callistra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 04:14 PM

Quark is generally used more in Europe, Germany in particular I believe.
It is similar to Fromage Frais or cream cheese. It is low fat and is often a bit more tart, less creamy.
It can be a bit bland so best mixed with herbs, spices, fruit etc
It can make very nice healthy cheesecakes, Lemon or raspberry work well.
It can be creamed together with some icing sugar to make cake frosting or mix with some lemon curd or fresh blueberries as a filling for scones or pastries.
Use to fill scooped out tomato, mix with chives, add a little boiled quails egg
If watching calories it can make a little peanut butter or humus go a bit further.
Add some button mushroom, chopped tomato, onion ...tuna or bacon pieces
as a jacket potato filling.
A bagel or croissant filling with dill and smoked salmon slices.
Hope that gives some ideas.
Franbern
London
Franbern is female  Franbern has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 11:49 AM

Many years ago my friend (who taught cookery at the local secondary school) told me that Quark was always used in the Continent (particularly Germany) in the making of cheese cake. Since then I have always used one carton of Quark and one carton of any other soft cheese for my cheesecakes. Can't say these cakes are particularly 'healthy' as they also contain double cream, but they are definitely delicious and require no sort of topping on them
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 12:11 PM

Quark promotes Strangeness and Charm.
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 02:33 PM

You can buy it at the Co-op. Use instead of yogurt or cream.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
I seem to recall that Quark was a character in Startrek - Deep Space Nine.
Nah! A quark is a sub atomic particle, you can make a proton with two up quarks and one down quark, add a little nutmeg and you have a pleasant treat.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top