Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 11:13 AM

Ponds, Fish & Plants

Is there anyone else on here interested in garden ponds? I have started this thread in the hope that you might post pics of your ponds and also discuss fish health, pond problems and plants and equipment such as filters and UV clarifiers.

I'll start with some pics of my new pond which has been completed for a few weeks now but would love to see yours too.

This is the site before work started, a neglected garden basically.

I installed hardwood sleepers a flexible pond liner with a sand base and underlay. The ground is very soft so sleepers were laid on a bed of fine gravel and I sunk 4" waste pipe into the ground on each corner and filled and surrounded with concrete to give some support.

The box behind the pond now houses the filter and UV clarifier. Marcel looks happy.

Pond Lily. It only flowers for a few days and then retreats back under the surface and has to be dead headed from the crown of the plant.

Yellow Monkey Flower. This a great plant and has been flowering now for almost two and a half months. It was only a few inches tall when planted but is now about two feet.

A relaxing view of the pond which is 2.5 metres long x 1.5 metres wide and 0.6 metres deep and holds 2000 gallons of water.

I stocked the pond with just ten smallish goldfish but they are increasing in size rapidly and they seem very happy to have so much space to swim around in.

I'm looking forward to seeing your ponds and although I am no expert will attempt to answer any questions you have about your pond or fish.

LD
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2017, 10:16 PM

Re: Ponds, Fish & Plants

Your lillies have flowered quickly. Mine has only just flowered over the last couple of days.

Had to get into the pond a couple of months ago to recover something that had fallen in. Blooming freezing it was!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2017, 10:19 PM

Will post more piccies soon. I constructed mine with the metric equivalent of 4 by 2 tanalised timbers concreted into place, put insulation between the studs, lined the inside of the raised bits with some 18mm WBP ply which I coated with some liquid DPM for good measure before installing underlay and EPDM liner.

Really pleased with it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2017, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Will post more piccies soon. I constructed mine with the metric equivalent of 4 by 2 tanalised timbers concreted into place, put insulation between the studs, lined the inside of the raised bits with some 18mm WBP ply which I coated with some liquid DPM for good measure before installing underlay and EPDM liner.

Really pleased with it.
I can see why, it all looks great.

The whole of my garden is top soil which has it's benefits and it's disadvantages. It was quite easy to dig but is also very soft. I wasn't able to concrete the sides of the pond (I think they call it a collar), that's why I sunk 4" pipes into the corners, a bit like pile driving I suppose. Nothing has moved yet so fingers crossed.

the lily only flowered for a couple of days and was then removed from the base but another has flowered, bigger and better than the last. I have always had trouble with water lilies so I'm quite pleased.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your pics.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

07-07-2017, 04:37 PM

Hi Longdogs. Is your pond water level going down in this weather?
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2017, 04:48 PM

I used to have a koi pond which I constructed myself, dug the footings and built a raised pond out of brick, it had an unusual shape as I built it like a slice of cake ( shape wise you understand) , sadly I lost all my beautiful koi during the harsh winter of 2010/11, although my son filmed them and they're still on you tube somewhere
BTW LD, your pond looks lovely
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

07-07-2017, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
sadly I lost all my beautiful koi during the harsh winter of 2010/11,
With that in mind, any advice on how to protect my pond in winter? No doubt York may get colder than Manchester, but we have our moments
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2017, 06:28 PM

First is a picture of our pond a few years ago. The reeds at the back have now grown enormously, no doubt benefiting from the fishes' 'additions' to the water!

The second shows our goldfish, again a few years ago. Not as many now. I counted 18 (but sometimes 17 and sometimes 19 - the buggers won't sit still!), but bigger. You might also make out a frog basking on one of the lily pads.

The third shows a pond lily. They haven't flowered yet this year, but plenty of leaves so far.

We, too, have a filter with UV, and would recommend one to anyone installing a fish pond. They can be expensive, but certainly keep the pond clear and clean. Having said that, our pond water does become slightly green on bright, sunny days, and I have taken to erecting a large umbrella adjacent to the pond in order to keep the sun off. It seems to help.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0082.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	3296   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0239.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	3297   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0788.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	3298  
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2017, 07:07 PM

I inherited a pond when I moved here and it`s OK. What I mean is that it is not what I would call a pond. It`s too shallow-hardly a foot deep. This fish have increased but I need rain and lots of it. And the water is green.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2017, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
I inherited a pond when I moved here and it`s OK. What I mean is that it is not what I would call a pond. It`s too shallow-hardly a foot deep. This fish have increased but I need rain and lots of it. And the water is green.
If the fish are increasing, it can't be bad!

You can top up with tap water, although fish don't seem to like highly chlorinated water.

You could also get a UV filter and pump.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top