Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2017, 07:21 PM

Re: Ponds, Fish & Plants

Originally Posted by JBR ->
If the fish are increasing, it can't be bad!

You can top up with tap water, although fish don't seem to like highly chlorinated water.

You could also get a UV filter and pump.
Agreed. I tend to pour in an additive now and again when I've topped up the pond to help de-chlorinate it. We have a surface skimmer and UV filter. A few weeks ago we could see to the bottom but since then it seems a little cloudy about half way down. Hopefully when the oxygenators has spread along with the lillies, this will clear.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2017, 07:28 PM

I have a pump,that was here. Topping up from the tap??-I do a little bit of that but I`m on a meter. I need rain.

The original pond was/is just too shallow. I dug out a pond when I moved to this area in 1993. It was hard work and did not come free in a Lucky bag,but it was 3ft deep in places with all the shallows for wildlife.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Hi Longdogs. Is your pond water level going down in this weather?
Hi Dex

Yes, it's dropping about 2" per week in this hot weather but I have been lucky so far in that we have had a couple od downpours which have topped it up. It always amazes me how quickly rain tops a pond up. That's a lot of water if using a hose. I sometimes spray the surface with the hose for a few minutes just to refresh it. It doesn't seem to harm the fish, they love it in fact.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
I used to have a koi pond which I constructed myself, dug the footings and built a raised pond out of brick, it had an unusual shape as I built it like a slice of cake ( shape wise you understand) , sadly I lost all my beautiful koi during the harsh winter of 2010/11, although my son filmed them and they're still on you tube somewhere
BTW LD, your pond looks lovely
Thanks Primus

What a shame, it's heart breaking losing fish and Koi in particular.

At my last house, I started off with fourteen goldfish which eventually multiplied into 120 but just before we moved a heron reduced the number by half before I was even aware of it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

08-07-2017, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
With that in mind, any advice on how to protect my pond in winter? No doubt York may get colder than Manchester, but we have our moments
If your pond is three feet deep, they should be ok but it's the ice on the surface that kills them - it traps the gases in the water and sometimes they can get frozen in the ice. I had that happen once where a fish had been stuck all day but after thawing with a hair dryer it was fine. I would suggest a pond heater in the winter or at least a tennis ball which floats around and prevents complete freezing.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

08-07-2017, 10:02 AM

First is a picture of our pond a few years ago. The reeds at the back have now grown enormously, no doubt benefiting from the fishes' 'additions' to the water!

The second shows our goldfish, again a few years ago. Not as many now. I counted 18 (but sometimes 17 and sometimes 19 - the buggers won't sit still!), but bigger. You might also make out a frog basking on one of the lily pads.

The third shows a pond lily. They haven't flowered yet this year, but plenty of leaves so far.

We, too, have a filter with UV, and would recommend one to anyone installing a fish pond. They can be expensive, but certainly keep the pond clear and clean. Having said that, our pond water does become slightly green on bright, sunny days, and I have taken to erecting a large umbrella adjacent to the pond in order to keep the sun off. It seems to help.
I love it JBR. I was originally intending to build a brick pond but my soil was just too soft. I think it would have cracked and sunk after a while. There's nothing nicer than sitting out on a nice day watching fish. I find it very relaxing.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

08-07-2017, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
I have a pump,that was here. Topping up from the tap??-I do a little bit of that but I`m on a meter. I need rain.

The original pond was/is just too shallow. I dug out a pond when I moved to this area in 1993. It was hard work and did not come free in a Lucky bag,but it was 3ft deep in places with all the shallows for wildlife.
It's great to see all the new wildlife appear when there is a pond. Dragon flies, frogs, newts and also watching the birds having a bath.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
If your pond is three feet deep, they should be ok but it's the ice on the surface that kills them - it traps the gases in the water and sometimes they can get frozen in the ice. I had that happen once where a fish had been stuck all day but after thawing with a hair dryer it was fine. I would suggest a pond heater in the winter or at least a tennis ball which floats around and prevents complete freezing.
That's an incidental advantage of having a fountain. Even when the pond freezes and is covered in snow, there is still an area free of ice where the water enters and, of course, the pond water is still being aerated.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0196.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	3307   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0197.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	3308   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0200.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	3309  
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

08-07-2017, 10:21 AM

That's an incidental advantage of having a fountain. Even when the pond freezes and is covered in snow, there is still an area free of ice where the water enters and, of course, the pond water is still being aerated.
Great pictures JBR. I think that bird is wondering where the water is coming from.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Great pictures JBR. I think that bird is wondering where the water is coming from.
Thanks. Actually, that was some years ago. I don't remember having any snow like that for quite a long time now.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top