Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 10:30 AM

Re: Ponds, Fish & Plants

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Thanks. Actually, that was some years ago. I don't remember having any snow like that for quite a long time now.
Reminds me of one of my cats (curiosity did kill him in the end), he found the pond frozen one morning and casually strolled across it. The next day he did the same, not realising that it had thawed so he ended up falling in. He was ok but managed to tear several holes in the rubber liner as he clambered out. They don't half look skinny when their fur is wet.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Reminds me of one of my cats (curiosity did kill him in the end), he found the pond frozen one morning and casually strolled across it. The next day he did the same, not realising that it had thawed so he ended up falling in. He was ok but managed to tear several holes in the rubber liner as he clambered out. They don't half look skinny when their fur is wet.

That's a good reason for having a net, as well as thwarting the herons.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 12:35 PM

That's an incidental advantage of having a fountain. Even when the pond freezes and is covered in snow, there is still an area free of ice where the water enters and, of course, the pond water is still being aerated.
I would be inclined to turn off your water features, as the pond doesn't need to be oxygenated, in winter, or divert your pump so it flows lower in the pond and circulates around the bottom of the pond, you can always invest in a pond heater to keep a small area of the pond free of ice..
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
I would be inclined to turn off your water features, as the pond doesn't need to be oxygenated, in winter, or divert your pump so it flows lower in the pond and circulates around the bottom of the pond, you can always invest in a pond heater to keep a small area of the pond free of ice..
True, I suppose, but I just leave the fountain/filter running all the time, even in winter. I've been doing that for years now.

It takes less than a small lamp to run - about 60W, I think - and I'd have to pay to run the heater anyway!
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 07:37 PM

True, I suppose, but I just leave the fountain/filter running all the time, even in winter. I've been doing that for years now.

It takes less than a small lamp to run - about 60W, I think - and I'd have to pay to run the heater anyway!
You could always raise the pump up ( on a shelf?) but it depends on what fish you have, goldfish are more hardy, koi are a bit more delicate, plus if your pond is deep enough the water is ever so slightly warmer the deeper it is
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 03:49 PM

Just wondering if anyone else has had an algae bloom in the past couple of days? The water was fine at the beginning of the week and has been since I first filled it. I have given the filter a clean and will check the UV lamp tomorrow along with a partial water change.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

20-07-2017, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Just wondering if anyone else has had an algae bloom in the past couple of days? The water was fine at the beginning of the week and has been since I first filled it. I have given the filter a clean and will check the UV lamp tomorrow along with a partial water change.
Yes, I used to get a slight green tinge to the water after a day of bright sunlight. However, lately I have been shading the pond with the garden umbrella in bright sunlight and the water is completely clear again. Trouble is, I have to keep popping out to move the thing as the sun moves around. I'm sure that it is direct sunlight that encourages algae.

Incidentally, for the past couple of weeks on goldfish has been sitting motionless and not eating, although it is still alive and changes places from day to day. I asked for some advice on this web site:
https://www.pond-life.me.uk/forum/vi...188410#p188410
and they have advised me to test the water using a testing kit:
https://www.orchardfisheries.co.uk/w...tl-pondlab-200
which I have been doing. Nothing drastically wrong with the figures, but I have been advised to add a small amount of bicarb, which I did today. I'll keep testing.

There seem to be some knowledgeable people on that site. Perhaps you could ask them about the algae.
Primus1
York

20-07-2017, 06:17 PM

I often found pond pads made from barley straw was effective against algae but yes sunlight causes the algae to bloom and its always best to shade your pond if you can
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

20-07-2017, 08:36 PM

Yes, I used to get a slight green tinge to the water after a day of bright sunlight. However, lately I have been shading the pond with the garden umbrella in bright sunlight and the water is completely clear again. Trouble is, I have to keep popping out to move the thing as the sun moves around. I'm sure that it is direct sunlight that encourages algae.

Incidentally, for the past couple of weeks on goldfish has been sitting motionless and not eating, although it is still alive and changes places from day to day. I asked for some advice on this web site:
https://www.pond-life.me.uk/forum/vi...188410#p188410
and they have advised me to test the water using a testing kit:
https://www.orchardfisheries.co.uk/w...tl-pondlab-200
which I have been doing. Nothing drastically wrong with the figures, but I have been advised to add a small amount of bicarb, which I did today. I'll keep testing.

There seem to be some knowledgeable people on that site. Perhaps you could ask them about the algae.
Hi JBR

I am actually on that site already although I haven't asked there yet. I have a large umbrella so I will try your suggestion. I don't think I will need it tomorrow though as rain is forecast for most of the day.

Good luck with the testing, t's unusual for fish to be motionless at this time of year so he might well have a problem.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

20-07-2017, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
I often found pond pads made from barley straw was effective against algae but yes sunlight causes the algae to bloom and its always best to shade your pond if you can
I seem to remember I used the straw method many years ago and it helped.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top