Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2017, 08:36 PM

New laptop needed

I think I'm ready to buy a new computer - a backup to my present one. I want to buy anytime between now and 30th September. Can anyone recommend when and where I could get a decent price?
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2017, 09:18 PM

Re: New laptop needed

Hi Lindyloo,
I did a similar thing about 4 weeks back. I have a perfectly good Samsung Win10 but the annoying thing for me was that I could not play my old games on it like Command and Conquer and early Championship Managers and other games.
So I decided to purchase an older computer that had Windows XP Professional and it will also be a back up for my first computer if ever it needs to be taken for a service or to be fixed in anyway. The other plus is that my Win10 does not except my old Canon printer so I was looking at buying a new printer.

I paid £100 to a company through Amazon and I don't need to buy another printer because xp professional excepts my old Canon and I also have a laptop that I can go online with and use for my old games. Like I say win/win.

DELL Latitude D630 14.1" Laptop DVD 2GB RAM 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo 80GB HDD Windows XP Professional WiFi
Sold by: Computers-Reborn LTD
£95.99
Condition: Refurbished - Grade A Refurbished - 12 Months RTB Warranty.

I believe I have got a great deal, it may not be new but it does everything I need it to do and more.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2017, 08:18 AM

Some good ideas there but I was thinking that I should go to Windows 10 because I need to modernise my own computer skills, so best to keep up with what goes for progress..........
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2017, 12:33 PM

Lindy

Take a look here:

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/

Very good site and they have a retail outlet in Huddersfield too so not just an online outfit.

I've bought laptops and netbooks from them for years. They have always been very reliable, delivery very quick and the prices are good.

They will also sell you accessories, laptop cases, licenses for MS Office and all the other usual stuff you might want.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

29-06-2017, 10:23 PM

Thanks Realist - that site looks excellent. I need to decide what specifications I want but will then use that site as a price-guide.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2017, 02:04 AM

I can't give you advice as to where because UK prices are a mystery to me but I would pay as much as you can possibly afford (a slow computer just makes you want to throw it at the wall) and avoid Toshiba brand.

Personally I like Lenovo best but Dell and Acer brands are good value and last well in my experience.

BTW unless you particularly want portability you get more bang for your buck with a desktop computer.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2017, 07:53 AM

I too would avoid Toshiba - their after sales service is atrocious. I was asked, when my laptop packed up for the nth time to post it to Germany. Their tech support only know how to read from screens, zero diagnostic skills but not bad at reading....
Mouse
New Member!
Netherlands
Mouse is male 

19-07-2017, 09:49 AM

Hi Lindyloo,
Choosing a new computer should be done with 1 thing in mind:
"What are you going to use it for now and in the future?"

This has influence on everything, since if you will be travelling a lot you should get a mobile device, but if you are mostly at home, the better choice is a desktop.

I would recommend you to answer the following questions first, before you start looking at specs:
- How long am I planning to keep this new computer?
- What is the main use? (organizing photo's, playing high end video games, video chatting, writing, browsing internet)
- What is my preferred future use? (photo editing, building applications, sharing a blog, collecting information)
- Where will I be using this computer?
- How often do I use this computer?

So once you have done that, you can start wondering on what kind of device you need. My current computer for example is a desktop. I chose this, because I knew I needed high performance and would use my smartphone for the mobile stuff.

My desktop is now 5 years old and I know I can use it for another 2 years. It did have an upgrade in between (SSD, fans and monitor), which was only possible because I chose the right motherboard when I built it myself.

On the other hand I also bought a laptop 1 year ago to have more performance when I visited people. My smartphone wasn't enough, but I wanted a good presentation possibility, so I chose a laptop with a touchscreen, which basically makes it a tablet when I want it to be.

So, first ask yourself those questions and then wander the internet a bit to see what the options are for your specific need. There really are a lot of devices that can suit you much better than what the standard stores offer.

Just let me know if you need to know more!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2017, 10:23 AM

I guess you are talking Windows operating systems? Would you ever put Linux on a Laptop? I ask because I recently put Linux Mint 18.2 on my HP Envy (HDD - Intel i5 - 8GB RAM). No dual-booting but just given over to Linux.

It works really well and I'm sure it would be adequate for what most people would want to do on a computer. I sometimes think the 'easier to use' Linux distributions (or distros) need a bit more promoting.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I guess you are talking Windows operating systems? Would you ever put Linux on a Laptop? I ask because I recently put Linux Mint 18.2 on my HP Envy (HDD - Intel i5 - 8GB RAM). No dual-booting but just given over to Linux.

It works really well and I'm sure it would be adequate for what most people would want to do on a computer. I sometimes think the 'easier to use' Linux distributions (or distros) need a bit more promoting.
While I do use Linux on one older laptop and it is fine for my visitors ie those just browsing the internet; Linux does have its own complications (sudo, drivers etc) which might be beyond your average computer user to set up if there are any complications. And while it does have a lot of support it is nothing like the support Window's users get.

Having said that I would certainly recommend it as an essential for people who's operating system has run out of support eg Vista and before.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top