Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 12:13 PM

Net Closing In For Illegal TV/Content Downloading

Do you own a Kodi box and if so are you actively engaged in downloading premium copyright content illegally without a subscription?

If so you might want to think again as the net is closing in on all associated criminal activity.

Firstly the Digital Economy Act has received royal assent and is now law. The maximum prison sentence for copyright infringement in the UK has now been increased from 2 years to 10.

Authorities are more likely to target those hosting torrent repositories that enable thousands of other internet users to download copyrighted content without permission from the rightholders, but even so, ordinary TV downloaders/viewers could, and likely will, get caught up in the investigations and that could lead to prosecutions.

Read more here:

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/...-Download-Jail

Secondly, Microsoft are joining the fight against this criminal activity.

They have patented a new technology that identifies copyright material and can then block torrent users who stream files illegally over the web.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/...-Bay-crackdown

"Along with blocking files, those who regularly share files could also be identified and their accounts terminated.

According to TorrentFreak, Microsoft's patent means that individuals who repeatedly break the rules could easily be singled out and even punished"

“Whilst end users are not a target, they could get swept up in one of our operations and become part of the whole criminal investigation, which could lead to prosecution alongside the suppliers, retailers and importers.”

It is also worth noting that the previous "get out of jail free" card used by most illegal downloaders is no longer going to work. Previously they relied on the difference between actual DOWNLOADING of illegal content and just STREAMING of content which only creates a temporary copy whilst viewing.

That has all now changed.

Blow for Kodi users as European court rules that streaming pirated films and TV shows IS illegal

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/kodi-up...video-10305875

"in a landmark ruling yesterday, the Court of Justice of the European Union stated that the temporary reproduction of a copyright-protected work, obtained without the consent of the copyright holder, is NOT exempt from the "right of reproduction"

"The ruling effectively means that anyone who streams an illegally copied film or TV show is breaking the law - just as they would be if they downloaded it."
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 12:18 PM

Re: Net Closing In For Illegal TV/Content Downloading

Obsessive.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 12:25 PM

Yeah, Yeah... torrents and VPN wiped out overnight... I think not.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
Obsessive.
You are wearing that word out.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 01:11 PM

How would one know, if one was watching copyrighted content?
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
You are wearing that word out.
I shall seek alternatives......sorry.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
How would one know, if one was watching copyrighted content?
Seriously?

Every box set series, every film has copyright screens at the beginning and end.

99% of this illegal activity is done by people who are well aware that the content they are viewing is on sale as DVDs, in cinemas or on pay per view TV services.

Of course they know.
Mouse
New Member!
Netherlands
Mouse is male 

22-07-2017, 09:23 PM

This isn't a problem if you use a VPN router for your home network. Anything leaving the house will then be encrypted, so even if they are going to pry, they will only find useless data in random sequences.

They are trying to control the internet, but it isn't going to work if everybody seems to connect from the same exact spot. However, make sure you get a good VPN provider which doesn't log your IP. There are already quite some providers out there whom are secretly being used by governments and businesses to filter out their prey.

Keep the internet free guys! Use a VPN.
I also made a post about this on my blog, you can check it out here:

Also to reply to Realist, for many people computers and their workings are not so apparent. Especially when you have services like Netflix which are doing something similar but within legal ways. Plus often the kids of these people install their media world, so they just trust on their kids.

This can mean serious fines and possibly even imprisonment (which I find absurd), for people whom never knew they were doing anything wrong.

Apart from that the copyright thing is barely about truly protecting intellectual content. It's just a way a few companies are pressuring that they want their money. Meanwhile the internet is filled with people making money sharing their creative ideas.
It just shows to me that adapting their strategies is something they don't want to invest in. But guess what, the world is changing, so if you don't change with it, this is what happens.

Instead they should be looking for their own solutions to this problem by taking on the new mindset. And there are many solutions trust me.
You see it in the gaming world already where everything is being tied to an online server which will check if you are allowed to use it.
Movies and TV-shows could (and some already do) similar things by hosting live moments.

Look, I'm not saying everyone should start pirating, but perhaps this copyright thing should be evaluated a bit more in accordance with the world we live in today. Internet is not going away and putting rules on it is not going to work unless we start blocking other countries (which defeats the idea of the internet). So instead of figuring out problems like we used to, why not look at possibilities with our new options?

(Also, I would not be able to post here if rules dictated that I had to live in the UK)
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

23-07-2017, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mouse ->
This isn't a problem if you use a VPN router for your home network . . . make sure you get a good VPN provider which doesn't log your IP"
This is imo naïve thinking. Every provider, whether a VPN or ordinary ISP will have records of your activity regardless of how they present their services to customers. Just read the
Ts&Cs and it's obvious because they all say that if needed they will open up your data to authorities (Police, Feds etc).

Originally Posted by Mouse ->
Also to reply to Realist, for many people computers and their workings are not so apparent. Especially when you have services like Netflix which are doing something similar but within legal ways. Plus often the kids of these people install their media world, so they just trust on their kids.
These are just lame excuses. The people downloading content know that they are pirating films and TV series. They know they would otherwise have to pay for that content. They know they pay if they use Netflix, Amazon Prime or Sky. Let's not be silly. These people are knowingly and wilfully pirating content.

The net IS closing in and people's records WILL be used in evidence. Each to their own.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2017, 03:30 AM

Ive got Netflix and Prime, I pay monthly for them but I have noticed anything worth watching you have to buy, I watched six episodes of the first series of 24 then they asked for £9.99 to watch the rest....of course I was hooked so I bought them, I'm now on series 3 and its cost me! Bit of a rip off really.

I would be scared to have illegal downloads though, I would be waiting for a knock at the door and to be dragged off to prison

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top