Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2017, 02:52 PM

Air Pressure Help Please!

I need to put some air in one of the tyres on my Mini using the air compressor, l found in my garage. The tyres are 195/55 R16 run flats.
I have never used it before but l know where l have to plug it in the cigarette lighter place and where to attach to the valve on the tyre.
What l'm not sure is, where on the gauge do l need to stop once there is enough air in!
The tyres require, 30 - 34 or 22 (2.2?)
I feel so useless! Please can you tell me where l need to go to on this gauge?

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2707.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	3315  
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2017, 03:14 PM

Re: Air Pressure Help Please!

Just to say, l have aborted the mission.
First, l think l was taking air out of the tyre, until l summoned up enough strength to close the thumb lock!
I switched the engine on and the compressor was very noisy and doing walkabouts! The gauge didn't move, so l switched off the engine, had a little tear and gave up!
Looks like, l'll have to waylay some kindly stranger as l hover round the air machine at the petrol station, with my 'Oh, poor little me' expression!!
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2017, 03:23 PM

Art, use the gauge to check the pressure on the opposite tyre then inflate the low one to the same pressure.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

09-07-2017, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Art, use the gauge to check the pressure on the opposite tyre then inflate the low one to the same pressure.
EZ, What? The arrow on the gauge didn't even move, never mind me try in on another tyre!
I have a go at most things in life but with this, l just feel totally useless.
I did have an on/off boyfriend who did all this sort of thing for me but l finished with him lately.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2017, 03:36 PM

Oh dear! If the iffy tyre is totally flat it will never register anything on the gauge. Make sure you push the inflator fully onto the valve and lock it down fully. If you dont seal the connection you will lose the rest of the air from the tyre. Better yet, knock next door and flash those eyes at your neighbours husband.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2017, 03:40 PM

Art, is the gauge attached to the compressor ( pump) or is it separate?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

09-07-2017, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Art, is the gauge attached to the compressor ( pump) or is it separate?
Primus, It's all one piece. This is the box it comes in...

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2708.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	3317  
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2017, 03:48 PM

Funny you should say that, Angel.

I have never bothered to check my spare tyre for years, quite possibly ever since the car was new in 2003! So, yesterday I went to the local Sainsbury's petrol station where they have free air (some tight-fisted places charge you - for AIR!).

I could find no trace of recommended pressures in my car's handbook, and I never check my tyre pressures anyway, assuming that when the car is serviced they do that job.

Consequently, I checked one of my tyres that looked to be the right shape and noted the indicated pressure. I then did the same on my spare and the gauge didn't move at all!

Logically, I thought that perhaps I should top up the spare until the gauge read a fair bit over the pressure in the tyre I had just read.

I'm happy that all is as it should be now!
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2017, 03:53 PM

Right, put the hose onto the valve on the tyre don't switch on the compressor yet, the gauge should indicate the pressure, there is usually two sets of numbers one in black and one in red, one will read in psi the other in bar, consult your handbook or the data plate on the car ( usually found on one of the doors) this will tell you in bar or psi what the pressure should be, switch on the compressor until the gauge reaches the correct pressure , then sw off and recheck
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey

09-07-2017, 03:55 PM

Got a headache yet Art??

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top