Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2017, 06:59 AM

Re: Knees are going!

"You're overweight" seems to be the cause of everything according Doctors nowadays...B******t, get your legs up relax and take some good strong painkillers that's the only way I've found to get some relief after suffering for year's with knee problems.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2017, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by basser ->
"You're overweight" seems to be the cause of everything according Doctors nowadays...B******t, get your legs up relax and take some good strong painkillers that's the only way I've found to get some relief after suffering for year's with knee problems.
Thanks Basser
Not that simple with the onset of arthritis though. The pain isn't there all the time either, so it's not that serious.

At the moment it's pretty mild and as long as I keep exercising regularly with moderate weight I should be able to keep my strength up too.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2017, 05:28 PM

Im having a lot of pain in my knees,especially the left one,which often gives way,Im going to get one of those copper supports that Ive seen advertised,but they Im not sure if they work or not, has anyone tried one ?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2017, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
Im having a lot of pain in my knees,especially the left one,which often gives way,Im going to get one of those copper supports that Ive seen advertised,but they Im not sure if they work or not, has anyone tried one ?

Go to your GP, get a referral to orthopaedic surgeon, get all the necessary x-rays and MRI scans and if your surgeon says you need knee replacements - then go for it!!!
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2017, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I knew a guy who was a runner , he ran daily on pavements and grass thinking he was doing his body good . At 50 he had to have 2 new hips . I think too much excercise can damage your health and damage joints . I look at the runners today and wonder about their health when older .
Exactly what I think Susan, I think they are storing problems up for themselves.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2017, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I knew a guy who was a runner , he ran daily on pavements and grass thinking he was doing his body good . At 50 he had to have 2 new hips . I think too much excercise can damage your health and damage joints . I look at the runners today and wonder about their health when older .
There are so many reasons why he had to have new hips Susan. I would imagine that had he not been a runner he would still have to have new hips. Without knowing his history it's hard to say what the cause was, but my guess would be Arthritis, and it is no respecter of fitness.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 05:44 AM

Probably surprising, but running helped alleviate the beginnings of some significant knee and joint pain that I was having ten years ago. My theory is that running (about 30-35 miles per week) built leg and knee muscles that could once again do the work that I was otherwise putting on my joints. Combine the running with being in cool water quite a bit surfing (but which could be imitated just as easily by being in a cool bath or swimming pool), and all the joint inflammation I once had resolved. I know that it gets harder as we get older to avoid injury and damage, but I suppose I am of the "use it or lose it" school of thought.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Probably surprising, but running helped alleviate the beginnings of some significant knee and joint pain that I was having ten years ago. My theory is that running (about 30-35 miles per week) built leg and knee muscles that could once again do the work that I was otherwise putting on my joints. Combine the running with being in cool water quite a bit surfing (but which could be imitated just as easily by being in a cool bath or swimming pool), and all the joint inflammation I once had resolved. I know that it gets harder as we get older to avoid injury and damage, but I suppose I am of the "use it or lose it" school of thought.
Yes Surfermom, I belong to the same school.....

Just a point Floydy, sometimes knee pain can be referred pain from the lower back, so the problem might not be the knee at all.....

But if it is the joint, sometimes food can annoy the joint. Red meat is a known cause of inflammation which can make arthritis worse, there are other things also. I've had a bunion on my left big toe joint for quite a few years now, and I find after a meal of red meat,the following day I wake up to a painful joint. Also I suffer less pain and discomfort if I keep it moving. While being a postman it virtually went away altogether...
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
But if it is the joint, sometimes food can annoy the joint. Red meat is a known cause of inflammation which can make arthritis worse, there are other things also. I've had a bunion on my left big toe joint for quite a few years now, and I find after a meal of red meat,the following day I wake up to a painful joint. Also I suffer less pain and discomfort if I keep it moving. While being a postman it virtually went away altogether...
Agree. More than twenty-five years as a vegetarian and I think it truly makes a difference.

(I suffer less pain and discomfort by drinking a glass of champagne once a week and eating good bread at will....at least my mental state suffers less pain and suffering...)

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top