Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2017, 11:41 AM

Cold-Brew Coffee

I've never been a fan so-called "iced coffee" - hot coffee poured over ice - but I've heard that "cold-brew coffee" is a pleasant alternative.

Since I've recently switched to "overnight oats", 'overnight' coffee could be a welcome partner .....

Should I give it a try .....
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2017, 12:02 PM

Re: Cold-Brew Coffee

I'm not currently convinced Omah but in fairness I've never tasted it.

My concerns stem from the fundamental knowledge that you need to expose coffee beans to a pressure of at least 9 bars in order to extract all the proper oils and flavours of the coffee. That's why coffee made in a caffetiere is nothign at all like a proper coffee served from your local coffee shop using a proper machine.

I've seen suggestions on t'internet that you can make "cold brew coffee" by just leaving ground coffee in cold water in a jar for 18 to 24 hours. I thus remain a tad sceptical.

Lots of manufacturers have tried over the years to market cheap and nasty machines of all kinds that claim to make a proper shot of coffee with "crema" but unless they use at least 9 bar pressure they are of course all fakes. The Senseo system is one such example. It squirts the coffee at high speed through a minute nozzle to give the illusion of coffee foam but fundamentally doesn't have a 9 bar pressure system.

I'll stick to "real" coffee that has been piured over ice and mixed with milk for a lovery cooling frappe.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2017, 01:41 PM

I have tried iced coffee and iced tea and didn't like either of them. Give me a proper Flat White any day. Imo, Costa make the benchmark Flat White and it annoys me when cafes serve an ordinary white coffee claiming it's a Flat White.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2017, 02:33 PM

I adore iced coffee and sometimes do one at home. Just cold milk and the coffee granules. and maybe a cube of ice. Delicious.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top