Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 12:11 AM

Re: The Frogs are demanding now!

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Never understood the English dislike of the French unless it is pure jealousy.

They have a language in which even the weather forecast sounds sexy, they have a more successful military history, they have a very beautiful country and the metric system. What's not to like?
Not all of us dislike the French, only the ignorant ones.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 12:12 AM

They have a language in which even the weather forecast sounds sexy, they have a more successful military history, they have a very beautiful country and the metric system. What's not to like?
You're kidding right?
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Not all of us dislike the French, only the ignorant ones.
And feel free to shove that comment where a monkey likes to shove it's ***s
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 12:16 AM

Oops

Apologies

I thought this was a thread about amphibians!
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

21-07-2017, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Oops

Apologies

I thought this was a thread about amphibians!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 12:23 AM

I wouldn't expect you to understand as you're Australian. I'm not being intentionally offensive here, you understand.

There are several reasons.

The French have been our enemies for many more years than they have been our (tentative) friends.

In 1940, the BEF was sent to aid the French in resisting German expansion into their country. They failed, as did we, to prevent the German invasion. Nevertheless, one might expect the French to be grateful for our putting our own lives on the line to help them. Were they? Not that I've heard.

Having given up their freedom to the Nazis so quickly with little opposition, and since having been rescued by us and the Americans, they feel proud to be seen strutting and posturing as if they're the big tough guys on the block.

More recently, the French vetoed our application to join the EEC. Why? Was this an example of their gratitude for our helping to defend their country in two world wars?

And to the present day, when one of their politicians is trying his best to rip us off for as much money as he can (without providing any figures to justify his claims). We should remember that after we have left the EU, France, along with the other 'rich' EU countries will be obliged to stump up the shortfall when we are no longer being ripped off for being a member.

Can you see any examples of what could be described as British jealousy of the French? I can't.

If anything, some of the examples given above (and let's not forget their 'military successes'(!) Agincourt, Waterloo, etc) might suggest the jealousy would be their purview rather than ours.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

21-07-2017, 12:29 AM

Right on JB,

I was too lazy to put it that way.
I'm getting a bit like my hero Purwell and resorting to one liners...
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

If anything, some of the examples given above (and let's not forget their 'military successes'(!) Agincourt, Waterloo, etc) might suggest the jealousy would be their purview rather than ours.
You quote two bad examples don't you?

Waterloo - even Wellington called it a close run thing. Perhaps the outcome might have been very different if Napoleon had not waited for several hours for the ground to dry so he could better manoeuvre his troops. Perhaps then Blucher's (sp) arrival would have been too late to save the day.

Agincourt was a victory in a war about English territory - where is this territory now? Did you learn at school what happened to it?

This is the problem with British history - it carefully leaves out the many disasters - as a simple example - how many of us were taught about the abject failure of the English "Armada" one year after the Spanish Armada - which was a far bigger defeat than the Spanish suffered the year before? I had never heard of it until a few years ago.

Actually this does show a difference between Australia and Britain whereas Britain hides or denies any defeats and only celebrates victories, Australia's 'Remembrance' day is ANZAC Day on the 25th April which is the anniversary of the terrible losses at Gallipoli, a massive defeat by any standard. The 11th November is a very minor event in comparison.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

21-07-2017, 01:23 AM

What you say may well be the case Bruce, but tbh I've not looked into the details you've posted in any depth as yet.

However, if it were not for us and the US, they'd all be singing the Bratwurst song. Despite this, the only "gratitude" they've ever shown is to try and **ck us over at any and every opportunity. Hence the general dislike.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
In 1940, the BEF was sent to aid the French in resisting German expansion into their country. They failed, as did we, to prevent the German invasion. Nevertheless, one might expect the French to be grateful for our putting our own lives on the line to help them. Were they? Not that I've heard.

Having given up their freedom to the Nazis so quickly with little opposition, and since having been rescued by us and the Americans, they feel proud to be seen strutting and posturing as if they're the big tough guys on the block.
Originally Posted by fender ->
However, if it were not for us and the US, they'd all be singing the Bratwurst song. Despite this, the only "gratitude" they've ever shown is to try and **ck us over at any and every opportunity. Hence the general dislike.
I don't like to touch on this but I will because you are rewriting history.

The BEF was not sent into French to rescue the French it was sent into France because Britain declared war on Germany when they invaded Poland, Britain didn't give two hoots about France other than it stood between them and Germany.

Britain, as is its habit, treated their allies with total disdain, that monster Churchill treated de Gaulle, as defacto leader of the Free French, appallingly with result he opposed Britain's entry to the Common Market after the war, likewise Churchill treated Australia and its defence with contempt so that once the war was over they turned to the USA for an alliance.

It was the USA that saved Britain in both World Wars and, to rewrite your own phrase: "Nevertheless, one might expect the British to be grateful for them putting US lives on the line to help them. Were they? Not that I've heard."

You only have to go back through this forum to witness the antipathy in which America is held in spite of it rescuing a broke and impotent Britain in WWII with its exceptionally generous Lend Lease Scheme (more Give Keep) and later with troops.

Again, contrast this with Australia's attitude toward America and Americans.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top