Join for free
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 06:45 PM

Teabags and Chopped Bananas

Chatting to a local, he reckoned that the above waste products are superb as food for plants. He places them around the roots, and the bananas go black in a few hours, so are unnoticed.

Hocus Pocus or true...?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 07:06 PM

Re: Teabags and Chopped Bananas

I put banana skins and teabags in the pots with my rhododendron and azalea, it seems to work, I've never not done it so I can't tell really.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 07:29 PM

My granddad used to save all the tea grouts and mix them into the soil. He swore by it.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 08:38 PM

My mum always steeped old cold teabags in the water she used for her houseplants ... and come to think of it they were healthy specimens.

Mind .. she did used to talk to them too so perhaps they liked her company.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 08:39 PM

And in the garden .....
Laying banana skins on the paths isn't good for burglars.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 12:19 AM

I rarely use teabags but my brother (who lives in Macclesfield) reckons that teabags don't break down in his compost. I found that banana trees had the same problem so much so that I got rid of mine - Banana plants only produce fruit once so they produce a lot of waste greenery. They do break down eventually but it takes ages.
Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2017, 11:24 AM

Yes I put banana skins around my roses and I also place one next to my outdoor tomatoes to ripen them quicker. I believe it works but don't get me to sign a statement
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2017, 01:12 PM

I don't put teabags on the compost heap but banana skins yes, although I've never put them directly on the garden.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top