Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2017, 02:48 AM

FreeNAS

Anybody installed FreeNAS? It's an open source NAS software based on Unix/Linux.

I don't really need another NAS because I have two but I do have an old slow computer which, as a certified hoarder, I can't bear to throw away. It is the original Dell Netbook originally running XP- I have tried running LUbuntu on it but even with the least resource hungry version installed it is as slow as a wet weekend and effectively useless (now replaced by a Lenovo netbook).

Anyway I thought I would play with FreeNAS as a last throw of the dice before I plunge a screwdriver through its heart and chuck it in the bin. So far I have created a bootable FreeNAS thumb drive because the computer doesn't have a CD player built in but won't be running it until about midweek due to time constraints. (That is the problem with being retired, there are no days off)

In the meantime if you have experience of setting it up I would interested in hearing about it. (Not interested in URLs I can do that myself)

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top