Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 10:45 PM

Re: M6 tailbacks

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
I went to Upton - upon - Severn Blues Festival over the weekend, and drove back on Monday
I noticed long queues of traffic on the southbound lanes of the M6 in Staffordshire
Any one know what caused them?
In our experience, you can count on there being traffic jams on the M6 and M5 anywhere around Birmingham.

I think there is a definite case for a new motorway completely bypassing the whole of the Birmingham and Black Country area, a bit like the M6 toll.

Of course, it's not the only dreadfully inadequate motorway. Most of our motorway system is abysmally inadequate.

It's getting to the point where the only option is, as someone mentioned, travelling at night. Fortunately, being a retiree with no children, that is quite possible for me.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2017, 12:45 AM

We used to live near that motorway and it always had holdups or slow traffic
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2017, 01:04 AM

I've driven on the toll road on numerous occasions. .
Hardly saw another car!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2017, 05:24 AM

Hi

The M6 Toll is extraordinarily expensive, far more so than Toll roads on the Continent.

That is why there is so little traffic on it.

There is a reason for this, it was not built to the same standards as the rest of the motorway system.

This was done in order to maximise profits, they make more money with less traffic and higher charges.

In any event, it was not built as a means of reducing congestion.

It was built as a strategic measure to eliminate a known pinch point on north south travel in case of an attack.

The business plan did not work due to funding costs, so it was sold last month to a private American Company.

It works for them due to the fall in the value of the £.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2017, 07:40 AM

The weekly rate goes up again by another £0.40p early August, a super bit of intuition, by the new owners, you need to out price the commoners, so traffic does not get as heavy as on the M6.
Is it true the M8 is the friendliest motorway?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top