Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 04:48 PM

Independant News

Voices
As a British EU negotiator, I can tell you that Brexit is going to be far worse than anyone could have guessed
The Government keeps saying it ‘didn’t realise’ the problems, but they had the experts at Whitehall – they just refused to listen to them. Now we’re facing a breakdown in airline safety, medicine, animal welfare, security, international aid and so much more

Steve Bullock 7 hours ago708 comments

Click to follow
The Independent Online
eu-talks-uk-flag-0.jpg
An official carries a Union Jack flag ahead of a news conference by David Davis and Michel Barnier in Brussels Reuters
For anyone following Brexit developments, the last week should have shown that the level of complexity involved in Brexit is unprecedented. Ministers however seem to have inserted their heads firmly into the sand, hoping tricky problems will just go away.

Who knew a fortnight ago that leaving the apparently obscure Euratom Treaty would jeopardise not only the UK nuclear industry, but also the supply of medical isotopes for cancer treatment?

Did anybody realise that the work needed to establish a new customs IT system was unlikely to be done in time, and what that would mean?

Was everyone already aware that UK airlines like easyJet would need to set up in the EU27 and Ryanair might move its planes to EU27 countries due to the UK leaving the Open Skies Agreement?

Well, some people knew, but they’re just experts, so have been largely ignored.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 05:47 PM

Re: Independant News

I hear a crowd heading this way shouting "Fake News!"
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 06:28 PM

And the Lord said the bleating of the Remaniacs will forever echo, and sore will be the lugs of the Believers, until the grace of Independence day shall arrive, and all will be right with the world.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 07:08 PM

The Independent is rampantly pro - EU and pro - Remain. Take everything it says with a huge shovelful of salt
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 07:25 PM

Hi

Irrespective of it being the Independant, it is a valid point.

The former Director of Vote Leave has recently savaged the Government about it's decisions and performance.

A group of the Government's backbenchers have just issued a report on the lack of action in getting prepared.

It is the most challenging thing we have faced since WW2.

There is a mass of things that need to be done.

To me, it would have made more sense to keep Parliament sitting than to swan off on the usual long summer break.

The Government is now looking at a long transition period, of years.

Surely it would be better to keep this as short as possible?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 08:16 PM

I can't believe people are still saying negative news about brexit is fake news. Even though prices are going up and the value of sterling is right down there. Feels like the country is flatlining but still everyone is in denial. I for one feel extremely gloomy about the way things are going. It's like the worst kind of limbo, but knowing you're not going to the good place once the wait is over. People talking about the way it was during WWII just make it all even more depressing.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
And the Lord said the bleating of the Remaniacs will forever echo, and sore will be the lugs of the Believers, until the grace of Independence day shall arrive, and all will be right with the world.
...and at the miraculous Rapture the Brexiteers will be carried aloft and cast unto the clouds of Cuckoo Land by the cry of, "We of the straight bananas shall rule the Land of Great Britannia" and there shall be great wrath and beating of breasts from above as the Brexiteers cry, "We was mislead! Smite the Lord Cameron, Boris and the funny little one that hath Muppet blood!"

The whole World is turning Tory?
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 10:27 PM

It's the harping back to the war and post war Britain that I don't understand either. The world, including Britain, is not the same world that it was then, the population is not the same, Britain is not a mighty empire any more, those days are long, long gone. Yet it appears that many people want to go backwards, either that or they think there is a magic wand to be waved and all will be wonderful.

For many people, if polls and reports are to be believed, a great majority now wish they had not voted out, and are now very concerned about their futures and that of their children and grandchildren.

It's a really sad state of affairs.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
...and at the miraculous Rapture the Brexiteers will be carried aloft and cast unto the clouds of Cuckoo Land by the cry of, "We of the straight bananas shall rule the Land of Great Britannia" and there shall be great wrath and beating of breasts from above as the Brexiteers cry, "We was mislead! Smite the Lord Cameron, Boris and the funny little one that hath Muppet blood!"

The whole World is turning Tory?
Genius prose!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

25-07-2017, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
It's the harping back to the war and post war Britain that I don't understand either. The world, including Britain, is not the same world that it was then, the population is not the same, Britain is not a mighty empire any more, those days are long, long gone. Yet it appears that many people want to go backwards, either that or they think there is a magic wand to be waved and all will be wonderful.

For many people, if polls and reports are to be believed, a great majority now wish they had not voted out, and are now very concerned about their futures and that of their children and grandchildren.

It's a really sad state of affairs.
It really is!

I'm starting to actually get anxious about the future because of this stupid situation. I can't be the only one. Worrying about whether I will get a pension, be able to keep the house, whether there will be jobs, what a waste of time it was saving when it's going down in value overnight, how there will be no opportunity to make any money in future because everything is going to be rubbish. I have a strong feeling services will start to fray because they were already under so much pressure from austerity and now we have this chaos to deal with too. Whenever I go to the supermarket my heart sinks because either products have been withdrawn or they have completely changed price. The value items are changing to not be such good value. I'm seriously considering stockpiling stuff that may go up in price like a survivalist. It's nuts!

This must be what life was like as an adult in the '70s. I was a child but I remember the inflation and the awful neglect of roads and infrastructure because the country had no money. Rubbish on the streets. Nobody had any money and everything was decaying. Everyone was protesting. All the adults were always angry at each other on tv (politicians) I'm sure there are some who are nostalgic but as a child it wasn't great. The difference is that at least then we had good music, tv shows and people actually talked to each other instead of via mobile phones or internet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top