Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2017, 03:15 PM

Re: USA Trade Deal

As a long term member of the EU, we have contributed to the set up and infrastructure of said beast. As we are divorcing perhaps its time we presented them with our bill for the divorce.

Always 2 sides to a story.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2017, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
As a long term member of the EU, we have contributed to the set up and infrastructure of said beast. As we are divorcing perhaps its time we presented them with our bill for the divorce.

Always 2 sides to a story.
I cannot see why not.

Other than the problem that our politicians have no balls, and I'm not referring just to Mrs May.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2017, 03:24 PM

Mind i dont want custody of the French, fill in the Tunnel sez me.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2017, 03:51 PM

Hi

Yep, right.

We paid for example, 120 miles of road in Poland for example.

The EU would simply say, well there you go, you can have it, it is yours, come and get it.

The Bill should relate solely to things we have signed up for, in other words commitments we have legally made, nothing more, nothing less.

The EU are apparently demanding that we pay the costs of moving Euratom out, along with the Medicines Agency and sundry other regulatory bodies.

To my mind this is a try on, much like my Ex and her new man some years ago demanding 50% of my fishing tackle.

It is not going to happen, it is going to cost us enough to replace them.

Another stupid demand is that one Agency, the EU Banking Authority had signed a long lease in London and the EU are demanding that we pay the balance of the lease when it moves from London to the EU.

A simple French " Non" is all that is required.

It is the EU who have decided to move it, so they pa, not the UK.

However, it is simply not an option not to pay what we legally owe.

We can rant and rave about what what our Politicians have signed for, we cannot change it.

We have genuine friends in the EU, allies of ours hor many years before we joined.

The Netherlands is one example.

Destroying that sort of relationship is absolutely no good for us.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2017, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Yep, right.

We paid for example, 120 miles of road in Poland for example.

The EU would simply say, well there you go, you can have it, it is yours, come and get it.

The Bill should relate solely to things we have signed up for, in other words commitments we have legally made, nothing more, nothing less.

The EU are apparently demanding that we pay the costs of moving Euratom out, along with the Medicines Agency and sundry other regulatory bodies.

To my mind this is a try on, much like my Ex and her new man some years ago demanding 50% of my fishing tackle.

It is not going to happen, it is going to cost us enough to replace them.

Another stupid demand is that one Agency, the EU Banking Authority had signed a long lease in London and the EU are demanding that we pay the balance of the lease when it moves from London to the EU.

A simple French " Non" is all that is required.

It is the EU who have decided to move it, so they pa, not the UK.

However, it is simply not an option not to pay what we legally owe.

We can rant and rave about what what our Politicians have signed for, we cannot change it.

We have genuine friends in the EU, allies of ours hor many years before we joined.

The Netherlands is one example.

Destroying that sort of relationship is absolutely no good for us.
Does the EU possess an option not to pay what they legally owe us?

The 120 miles of road in Poland that you mention, for example. Do they not owe us for that?

The many government buildings in Brussels and Strasbourg. Haven't we contributed to the cost of their construction and maintenance? I suppose they don't owe us anything for those?

Funny, isn't it, how we seem to owe them for all sorts of sundry things, yet somehow they owe us nothing?

We need to get tough with them.

They, quite rightly, see us as weak and easy to intimidate.

Once again, our MPs and negotiators need to grow a pair.

I bet they don't.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2017, 08:38 PM

Hi

It is a divorce after a very long period.

In any divorce both parties can be sensible and come to a reasoned agreement, part company and go their separate ways.

If both are being stupid, the rows start, the recriminations and in come the lawyers.

Both sides lose out, because of stupidity.

This is, in my opinion, where we are now, with the added twist that is more like a Monty Python Sketch than any semblance of serious negotiation.

When we know the outcome I will simply make a decision as to whether I stay or move abroad.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-07-2017, 08:46 PM

Hi

It is a divorce after a very long period.

In any divorce both parties can be sensible and come to a reasoned agreement, part company and go their separate ways.

If both are being stupid, the rows start, the recriminations and in come the lawyers.

Both sides lose out, because of stupidity.

This is, in my opinion, where we are now, with the added twist that is more like a Monty Python Sketch than any semblance of serious negotiation.

When we know the outcome I will simply make a decision as to whether I stay or move abroad.
You liken it to a divorce.

I liken it to leaving a club.

We've always paid our dues up to date. Why do we 'owe' more?

I may be talking out of my arse, but I suspect Jacob Rees-Mogg knows a lot more than I do, and he thinks the same.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

27-07-2017, 09:14 PM

Hi

It matters not whatever we call it, divorce or club.

What matters is what our Politicians have signed up for, and of that, I have no idea at all.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-07-2017, 09:26 PM

Hi

It matters not whatever we call it, divorce or club.

What matters is what our Politicians have signed up for, and of that, I have no idea at all.
Actually, on reflection, perhaps we should look on it as a divorce after all.

Each party usually gets half of the goodies.

I'd be very happy to take half of all the EU's assets.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top