Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2017, 11:02 AM

Re: Diesel Car Ban.

The majority of cars have only the driver in them. The average car weighs a ton or so. One ton of vehicle taking up a bit of road measuring about 6 x 16 feet (excluding the surrounding space needed), all to transport one person. Seems a bit excessive when you think about it and no wonder there are traffic jams.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2017, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
The majority of cars have only the driver in them. The average car weighs a ton or so. One ton of vehicle taking up a bit of road measuring about 6 x 16 feet (excluding the surrounding space needed), all to transport one person. Seems a bit excessive when you think about it and no wonder there are traffic jams.
We could all have small mo-peds, like they do in India.

Those of us more sensible people never drive in the rush hour. Leave that to the sheeple!

Seriously, more employers ought to be considering 'flexi hours'. I know that wouldn't be possible for everyone, but I'm sure it could be put in place far more widely than it is at present.

When I first started work in an office, I could never get to work on time (couldn't get out of bed). I'd pole in 15 minutes late, so my very sensible boss told me I could start 15 min. early and finish 15 min. late. Then that seemed to extend to 30 min., with the same provision. My boss assured me that 'I pioneered flexi-hours'. Funnily enough, those same offices now have flexi-hours as standard.

Actually, some obviously do. On a Friday afternoon, if my wife doesn't leave her place of work before 3pm (or even earlier) the roads are as bad as they ever have been, so she usually stays at work until after 6pm.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2017, 01:58 PM

I drive a big diesel LandRover Freelander, just the sort they want to get rid of but I love my car and will keep it as long as I possibly can. It's also used on my partners farm as a work horse. It won't be going anywhere any time soon..
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2017, 02:08 PM

We just got rid of Stevens diesel car and he's driving a petrol again it's getting a bit scary we'd be stuck with a car we couldn't sell.

But he can't do anything about his work van that's diesel and his boss is hardly going to change all 30 of his vans.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2017, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
True but until they actually give us decent public transport at a reasonable price I can't see anything changing. I see two buses on the way home from work with one driver and two passengers I'm unsure of the ratio of weight etc but that seems even crazier than your example to me.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2017, 06:04 PM

Two busses that may well have filled with more passengers as they progressed along their routes ..who is to say?

How many single occupant cars did you see in between seeing those two busses? They would most likely outweigh the busses to a great degree and take up much more road space.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top