Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2017, 11:20 AM

What's happened to all the old gangster films?

Remember when we were able to sit and watch the old classic gangster films on tv? Films such as White Heat, Lady Killer, Scarface, Little Caesar etc. Tv channels never show these films any more which is a shame.
Most of us grew up watching actors such as Edward G Robinson and James Cagney and I know you can get these films as collections on DVD but I wonder why tv stopped showing them?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2017, 09:04 PM

Re: What's happened to all the old gangster films?

I still watch them on youtube LD, I have a sneaky suspicion the anti smoking brigade may have something to do with it, but that’s just my own guess, too much smoking going on in all the old films, especially the gangster ones, it might encourage the week minded to take up the habit.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2017, 10:10 PM

Nothing better than to curl up on the sofa with a loved one, on a cold rainy weekend afternoon, hot mug of tea and buttered crumpets, and watch a classic black and white film on TV.
anne62
New Member!
United Kingdom
anne62 is female 

31-07-2017, 12:01 AM

i loved James cagney films and George Raft definately dont make them like that anymore
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2017, 06:55 AM

I think you can probably assume that the PC elite have got their jaws into this type of film and have given them a big NO NO....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2017, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I still watch them on youtube LD, I have a sneaky suspicion the anti smoking brigade may have something to do with it, but that’s just my own guess, too much smoking going on in all the old films, especially the gangster ones, it might encourage the week minded to take up the habit.
Ooh, you could have a point there, I had forgotten about all the smoking.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

31-07-2017, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by basser ->
I think you can probably assume that the PC elite have got their jaws into this type of film and have given them a big NO NO....
Yeah, too violent for the youngsters - might put them off their computer games.
Yolande
London, UK
Yolande is female  Yolande has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2017, 07:48 PM

They often show them and all the other old films on Talking Pictures TV, Freeview 81.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

06-08-2017, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Yolande ->
They often show them and all the other old films on Talking Pictures TV, Freeview 81.
Thanks Yolande. I have never seen that channel but then I have Sky. I will have a search though.
Yolande
London, UK
Yolande is female  Yolande has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2017, 09:27 AM

Yes it's Sky 343

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top