Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 10:00 AM

Re: Will Someone Please Shut Him Up!!

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
We didn't vote for the public to decide how the economy should be run. If that was the case then I say we should have zero tax for over 40s and a really decent pension for all with retirement at 55. I'd also like a four day week on the same pay. The young uns can work 24 hours a day to pay for the pension and reduced working hours for over forties. We have earned it!
No problem; vote for the Loony Party next time. After Corbyn has paid off all the student debts, I'm sure there will be plenty more for the above on his magic money tree.

Originally Posted by InfamyInfamy ->
We could make a start by trimming billions off the foreign aid budget, were far to much of it is wasted on despots and stupid worthless projects.
Indeed. I have been saying for years that we should put ourselves first.

I suspect that those politicians and others who maintain that we must feed the world 'because we are so rich and powerful' are living in the 19th Century.

They appear to be blind to the deprivations that many of our own people are suffering.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 10:18 AM

You haven't answered my point.
Which was:

Originally Posted by AnnieS:
They kowtow to the same masters and have their own problems. We really were stronger in Europe. We should have been running the show though. Have you considered that we had it all and we let it go without even trying?

You are suggesting that 'we had it all'. Did we?
As I understand it, we had (and I suppose have) one voice in 28. You could say the same for France and Germany (one voice each). Yet for some reason, it seems to be Germany that makes all the decisions with France skipping meekly behind and pretending to be as powerful.

Could you explain exactly how we could have been 'running the show'?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 10:26 AM

How did Germany and France do it? They are the other two major financial giants.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

02-08-2017, 10:35 AM

How did Germany and France o it? They are the other two manor financial giants.
They worked together to oppose us and make us subservient.

Which of those two do you think we should have allied ourselves with to make the other subservient?
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 11:05 AM

What about HS2?

It's amazing that's it's taken such a situation for the public to realise how badly everything has been run. Brexit itself is another poor move and will cost the country billions if not trillions in the long run. It's a very expensive way of taking the government to task.
I agree Annie.
HS2 too!

In respect of Brexit though I think it is you remoaners who have been taken in, and I certainly don't agree with what you say bold there.
I could go on a rant and argue the point, but I have a lovely sunny day outside to get on with!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
They worked together to oppose us and make us subservient.

Which of those two do you think we should have allied ourselves with to make the other subservient?
Both. Being billy no mates was our mistake and now we have to suck up to unsavoury regimes for crumb of trade.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 11:56 AM

How did Germany and France do it? They are the other two major financial giants.
They made us beg to join do you not remember they turned us down originally when we applied, then we went through hoops to be allowed to even talk to them again.

How exactly were we ever going to lead a group thought so highly of us they made us beg ?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

02-08-2017, 12:52 PM

Both. Being billy no mates was our mistake and now we have to suck up to unsavoury regimes for crumb of trade.
Can't you see?

They didn't want us as an ally. They wanted to use us, just like the other countries of the EU, especially those in the south like Greece which are suffering the most.

They have been taking advantage of us from the outset. Don't you think that was their plan all along?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 02:09 PM

Hi

What happens in respect of Brexit is down to our Politicians.

It remains to be seen if Boris can deliver on his "We can have our cake and eat it" promise, or the infamous £350 million a week saving.

Will the EU come running after us offering us tariff free access to the Single Market?

Who knows? I don't.

What is known however is that they are sticking to their guns about our biggest Exports to the EU, services, which are not subject to WTO Rules.

They are blocking UK based firms out, no surprise, we would do exactly the same.

That is stripping huge amounts of Tax from our economy and transferring it to the EU, tax which we need to pay for things.

Our Politicians are as divided as we are on this Forum, which should be a cause of concern to all, it weakens our negotiating position.

Our negotiating team need to be appointed on the basis of ability, not their political views, they need to be hard nosed pragmatists who can deliver a good deal for us.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 03:13 PM

Couldn't agree more Julie and JBR,

According to Vernon Coleman and other Constitutional experts, Britain isn't, and never has been a member of the EU as our entry was in violation of British law, and therefore invalid.
Apparently, in enacting the European Communities Bill through an ordinary vote in the House of Commons, Ted Heath's government breached the constitutional convention which requires a prior consultation with the people. (either by a general election or a referendum) on any measures requiring constitutional change.

Britain has no straightforward written constitution, but the signing of the Common Market entrance documents, was, without a doubt, a breach of the spirit of our Constitution.
Just weeks before the General Election which made him Prime Minister, Edward Heath declared that it would be wrong for any government contemplating membership of the European Community to take this step without the "full hearted consent of Parliament and the people".
However, when it came to it, Heath didn't have a referendum because the polls at that time (1972) showed that the British people were hugely opposed (a margin of 2 to 1) to joining the Common Market. Instead, Heath merely signed the documents that took us into what became the European Union on the basis that Parliament alone had passed the European Communities Bill of 1972.

So there we have it. Is it any wonder 17 million people want out! Though many will deny it, we Brits have always been insular. Even Charles de Gaulle knew it! This country was always a Maritime country, we have travelled to the four corners of the earth throughout our history, trading with the most distant countries.
So how the hell did we ever come to the point of being trapped into being just a second rate subservient country with a tiny voice alongside 26 other countries (actually, even less voice than the other 26) to the likes of Germany and it's pet monkey on its shoulder, France?
For decades we have struggled to respond from competition from within the EU. Does anyone remember the great British companies that have gone to the wall and disappeared?. Remember ICI? British Leyland? both huge conglomerates that were once household names here.
We need to be free again to trade with whoever we wish. No country should have a collar tied around its neck and yanked back when attempting to act on its own.
Throughout history, until 43 years ago, when we joined what was once foolishly described as the Common Market to entice us in, we have never been the servant of others, though many have tried!

So I thank God that the people of this country said "Enough" and voted with their cross to become once again what we have always been, and should never have had taken from us, An independent trading nation.

In fact, A pox on all those self-serving politicians throughout those 43 years, many now long gone in one form or another,but responsible for the instigation and taking part in the sacrifice of this country and it's people. They have a lot to answer for.

If this rant makes me sound like a "Little Englander", then so be it! I certainly won't lose any sleep over it. in fact I will wear my badge with pride.

Roll on 2019 !! VE Day again!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top