Join for free
HappiKat
New Member!
Norfolk UK
HappiKat is female 

02-08-2017, 06:44 PM

Pet friendly weed killer

Hello, does anyone know of a completely safe weed killer that I can use in my garden, as I have two dogs and a cat all them seem to eat the grass sometimes and I don't want to run the risk of making them ill or worse. Thank you, HappiKat
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 02:02 PM

Re: Pet friendly weed killer

I know exactly what you mean Happikat, because I have got 5 dogs and using chemicals worries the life out of me.

Moist of them say to keep pets away till the stuff is dry, but even when dry I still wouldn't trust it to be harmless if eaten, and the dogs do eat the grass sometimes.

I'm afraid I have no answer for you. I try to hand weed and hoe, or dig while the weeds are still small rather then take a chance on weedkiller near my animals.

The only place I will give an occasional spray is on the front driveway where the dogs cannot go without me.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 02:09 PM

I think many of us with dogs just use a hoe and dig them out. You can get a steam wand or flame wand I have no idea what they cost but they are only things I think I'd take a chance with.

My husband spent hours at the weekend just digging out stinging nettles and clawing out the weeds in the pathway. He is adamant no chemicals even if it might be easier as our two appear to be related to cows and start eating the grass as soon as they step on it.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 03:17 PM

Vinegar and salt in boiling water will kill individual weeds
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Vinegar and salt in boiling water will kill individual weeds

What sort of ratios, Meg?
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 03:20 PM

An old Neighbour who had dogs said to pour boiling water on the weeds,so that's what I've been doing for the weeds coming through on My driveway..seems to work ok and doesn't cost Me anything
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
What sort of ratios, Meg?
Don't know Mups I haven't measured it . I keep some salt in the garage for the winter and vinegar for the windows and put a handful in a two pint jug and a good glug of vinegar then top it up with boiling water.
Any of the three elements may be killing the weeds
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

07-08-2017, 03:25 PM

Thanks, I will give that a try.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top