Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 07:10 PM

Giving Up

I know a lot of us have health conditions,some pretty back.Do you ever think about giving up fighting your illness and wait for death ? NO I dont think that way myself,just keep plodding along doing what Im told,but I wonder how others feel.My friend has got a supply of morphine and could easily take it to end her life, she says she has considered it at times whan her pain has been bad , but something has always stopped her
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 08:02 PM

Re: Giving Up

They can section you for that kind of thinking deylon, and what could be worse than being locked on a ward with lots of others who feel like that?

Living with pain is awful, but it can be eased with medication, whereas ending it all means there is no chance of having a good day. Let's hope that whatever stops your friend from taking too much morphine, will continue to stop her, because I am sure there will be many things that make her smile when she is feeling a bit better.
Give her this big hug from me
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 09:25 PM

No Twink "they" would not section someone for thinking such thoughts. I am sure many people have these sort of thoughts without being labelled as sectionable.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 09:34 PM

How sad for someone to be in such pain they want to end it all.
But it happens
A friend of mine went to Dignidas .
Her life had become intolerable .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 09:59 PM

I have to admit it's crossed my mind a few times but I then look at how that would hurt my family and how it would affect my husband and keep on plodding on. It's usually if I have several bad nights not able to sleep because of pain, then I take a couple of extra doses of tramadol and I get a reasonable night and all swell again.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2017, 10:19 PM

In this day and age it is unacceptable to think we are forcing people to live in such pain and discomfort that they consider suicide as an option.

However I think each person has different moment at which they feel unable to struggle on, and there comes a time when people might ask themselves why ? If there is no hope of recovery when the road ahead is paved with pain and suffering I can understand the urge to give up.

I have already signed my advance directive should I need help dying , the terms and timing is clearly laid out should I not be able to voice my need clearly to my caregiver.

I would never judge anyone who decided their fight had come to an end.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
No Twink "they" would not section someone for thinking such thoughts. I am sure many people have these sort of thoughts without being labelled as sectionable.
Then you are wrong I know somebody that it happened to.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 08:16 AM

I too have listened to people who want to take their own life's , and when I heard about the suffering they had in what ever form that came , sometimes I understood why they no longer wanted to be here . It's awful in this day and age someone is suffering so much with pain , I feel for her , poor lady .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Then you are wrong I know somebody that it happened to.
I think it depends who they tell twink if you end up in a and e after a failed attempt they whisk you off to talk to mental health team that can lead to sectioning. But chat to your GP or keep it within your family it's unlikely to happen.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

03-08-2017, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I think it depends who they tell twink if you end up in a and e after a failed attempt they whisk you off to talk to mental health team that can lead to sectioning. But chat to your GP or keep it within your family it's unlikely to happen.
The person I knew had been through a very bad time, both emotionally and health wise and said that they didn't want to go through any more... to the doctor who came out to see them. They had insulin which would do the job very well, but they couldn't take that away or the person would have become even more ill.
I always think that people who really want a release from life do it privately, but if they threaten to do it, it is just a cry for help.
My friend didn't have a mental illness, she just couldn't cope anymore, so the hospital released her after a few days and gave her some short term medication, making sure there would be somebody there for her so she wasn't alone. Within a matter of weeks she was back to normal and dealing with her problems..... but she was still sectioned for a few days!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top