Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2017, 07:24 AM

Re: Servicing.

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I don't disagree realspeed, but, since Tappets no longer need adjustment, and electronic ignition replaced points and condensers, and, fuel injection replaced carburettors, the need for servicing, for an engine to do 100000 miles is diminished, it's become a thing for folks who don't want to bother checking fluid levels etc themselves.
If a service costs £200.00, and in 100000 miles time, (or ten years) you have paid for ten, you have spent £2000.00, when you come to sell, the car with the history will be worth more, granted, but not two grand more.
Hi

I totally agree Spitty.

I never buy new, the depreciation is horrendous.

I used to buy ex works cars, never been near a main dealer in their lives, serviced at a central garage with experienced mechanics, not a spotty youth paid minimum wage by a main dealer.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2017, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
You should be ok if genuine parts are use, the question is how do you know a non franchised garage is going to use genuine parts? you don't and also do they do the same quality of service or skip a few bits?

Then there is the question of vehicle recall some of which are dealer notification only, not bad enough for total recall to owners direct.

yes they may be a bit cheaper but while under warranty I would stay with a main ford franchised dealership.

Like most businesses if they can and do find out it has been serviced by non franchised garage and something goes wrong under warranty they could blame that garage and your warranty will be void.

Having bought many new cars over the years I have always gone back to the main dealer for service

Take my Nissan Xtrail still just under warranty, that was recalled as the front sensors detected that the auto breaking may not have worked on a shiny road surface.

Another garage would not have possibly known that as it was a dealer notification passed on by the dealer to their customers only and consequently booked in for rectification
Thank you reelspeed.

This is exactly the sort of advice I was looking for
You make a good point of if something goes wrong while it's under warranty.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2017, 11:09 AM

Difficult to have a hybrid serviced elsewhere, as the garage may not be able to obtain the settings/software from Toyota for various settings or criteria. Even if I could pop over to Bloggins garage, I would still receive e-mails from Toyota UK.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2017, 04:44 PM

Carol, as others have said you can have your car serviced outside the dealer network at a vat registered garage but they must use genuine manufacture parts, I too have a fiesta, and have mine serviced at the dealers, and as Omaha points out that includes 1 years roadside assist, the other benefit for using a ford dealer is they may look more favourably should your car have a problem when its say, just out of warranty, not guaranteed of course but you could plead customer loyalty, ect, plus the dealer will have all the latest info and updates tsb,s and the like, something a non franchised dealer won't have access to
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2017, 10:04 AM

Thanks everybody. I have decided to go with Ford to avoid any future hassle.
I received this email from them - the cost is a bit of a shock but I don't think I have any choice.

Dear Mrs Howard

Thank you for your email in regards to the service for your Ford Fiesta.

The second year manufacturers service is £216 inc VAT and Ford Assistance breakdown cover. Ford do also recommend on the second service to have a brake fluid change at an additional £45 if you would like this at the same time.

If you would like to arrange an appointment please let us know either via email or on the booking line 01246 610342.

Kind regards

Jane Laker

Customer Contact Team
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2017, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I don't disagree realspeed, but, since Tappets no longer need adjustment, and electronic ignition replaced points and condensers, and, fuel injection replaced carburettors, the need for servicing, for an engine to do 100000 miles is diminished, it's become a thing for folks who don't want to bother checking fluid levels etc themselves.
If a service costs £200.00, and in 100000 miles time, (or ten years) you have paid for ten, you have spent £2000.00, when you come to sell, the car with the history will be worth more, granted, but not two grand more.
I completely agree with you Spitfire. Servicing is only really useful if you intend to change cars every couple of years. If you intend to keep a car for a long time (as I do) there's no advantage to paying hundreds of pounds for someone to check the tyre pressures. It's all a con. Hardly anything is serviceable in modern cars anyway and things like brake pads will be picked up by the MOT.

My car is twelve years old now and I have probably spent around £1000 on repairs or replacement parts, or I could have spent that every year for twelve years.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2017, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Thanks everybody. I have decided to go with Ford to avoid any future hassle.
I received this email from them - the cost is a bit of a shock but I don't think I have any choice.

Dear Mrs Howard

Thank you for your email in regards to the service for your Ford Fiesta.

The second year manufacturers service is £216 inc VAT and Ford Assistance breakdown cover. Ford do also recommend on the second service to have a brake fluid change at an additional £45 if you would like this at the same time.

If you would like to arrange an appointment please let us know either via email or on the booking line 01246 610342.

Kind regards

Jane Laker

Customer Contact Team
The price is about right but a brake fluid change is probably unnecessary.

AFAIK, brake fluid absorbs water over time and becomes less efficient so does occasionally need replacing.

However, my Fiesta had a brake fluid boiling point test as part of its 2 year service and passed with <1%, which meant that it didn't need replacement.

My 3 year service was completed recently and, again, passed the brake fluid boiling point test, this time with 1%.

The figures for your Fiesta's "health" will all be included with your service report.

I have 2 local Ford Dealers - I have used both but prefer Evans Halshaw, although it is further away from where I live.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top