Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 02:08 AM

Internet of Things

On the wireless this morning was report about a local who has invented a device which tells how much beer is left in a keg so that the owner can change it rather than it running empty when there is a queue of patrons waiting for their schooner. Originally devised by a home brewer for his keg system, it was developed commercially for craft brewers but looks like being taken up en masse by main stream commercial producers.

That is all by the by... what interested me was the method it uses to tell the owner that the keg is empty. In a pub it would obviously be impractical to use a separate SIM card for each keg (as used to happen with vending machines) however it uses a low powered radio system called LoRaWAN. This is a proprietary low powered wide area network that give people like Realist such nightmares eg his scare campaign about the radiation dangers of Smart Meters.

I didn't realise that the Uni of Wollongong already has a LoRaWAN based at its Innovation Campus for businesses in the Wollongong area from Coniston to Austinmere.

How fascinating is this technology?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 06:30 AM

Re: Internet of Things

Don't like the possibility of the prospect of radiation damage, caused by Smart Meters, but, in this case, Imo, it is a worthwhile risk, if it prevents One running out of Beer.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
On the wireless this morning was report about a local who has invented a device which tells how much beer is left in a keg so that the owner can change it rather than it running empty when there is a queue of patrons waiting for their schooner. Originally devised by a home brewer for his keg system, it was developed commercially for craft brewers but looks like being taken up en masse by main stream commercial producers.
How fascinating is this technology?
A bit like a 'Petrol Gauge' on a car then Bruce......But without wires....
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 09:16 AM

Beer, I have touched a drop since he last pint, All I want is an attractive barmaid to pull it for me, the pint I mean
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
that give people like Realist such nightmares eg his scare campaign about the radiation dangers of Smart Meters.
It's not a "scare campaign" and it'snot MY campaign. It is a worldwide campaign that recognises that Smart Meters are a way foir energy companies to triple your bills over a few years and with blatant disregard for your personal health.

You'd be a foold to ignore the research imo.

http://stopsmartmeters.org.uk/resour...-smart-meters/
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2017, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
It's not a "scare campaign" and it'snot MY campaign. It is a worldwide campaign that recognises that Smart Meters are a way foir energy companies to triple your bills over a few years and with blatant disregard for your personal health.

You'd be a foold to ignore the research imo.

http://stopsmartmeters.org.uk/resour...-smart-meters/
That's not research, that's the usual Luddite psychobabble based on absolutely no science whatsoever.

Click on the picture:

And it takes you to the same unsubstantiated drivel on the same web site - looks impressive to the feeble minded but lacks any substance at all.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top