Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2017, 09:00 PM

Re: Windows File History

That's reassuring. Thanks.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2017, 09:58 PM

I'm going to have to modify the last post a bit. Windows' own disk imaging function certainly starts VSS and so does Acronis True Image. However, I notice EaseUS ToDo doesn't. I can only assume EaseUS takes its own system snapshot and uses this rather than using Microsoft's service.

I don't know about other programs but it's possible to see if they use 'Volume Shadow Copy' by looking in 'Services' while they are making disk images.

In any event, I think it will be found that a system snapshot is made either by Windows or by the program(s) and frozen so that it's OK to keep using the computer while the disk image is being written.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2017, 10:40 PM

Macrium Reflect makes use of Microsoft Windows VSS.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I'm going to have to modify the last post a bit. Windows' own disk imaging function certainly starts VSS and so does Acronis True Image. However, I notice EaseUS ToDo doesn't. I can only assume EaseUS takes its own system snapshot and uses this rather than using Microsoft's service.

I don't know about other programs but it's possible to see if they use 'Volume Shadow Copy' by looking in 'Services' while they are making disk images.

In any event, I think it will be found that a system snapshot is made either by Windows or by the program(s) and frozen so that it's OK to keep using the computer while the disk image is being written.
I just made a clone of my W10 HDD so that I could put my SSD back in the system.

Chose Easus to do it.

Interestingly, Easeus does the whole operation in good old DOS!
i.e. You fire up the program and tell it which are the source and destination drives .
Then , on selecting "Activate" it immediately drops into DOS and Does the full hard drive disk check.
Then it gets busy on the cloning - still in DOS..
When that's done it reboots into W10 and suggests a change of boot disk.
So it restarts and you simply chose the new drive as boot drive..

All done in half an hour. No need to worry about the registry!

Bingo! New total backup done and dusted!

The source HDD is now back in the cupboard until needed.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 02:38 PM

You three are speaking in a foreign language!

Presumably, you each know what the others are talking about.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
You three are speaking in a foreign language!

Presumably, you each know what the others are talking about.
Je ne sais pas!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

12-08-2017, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Je ne sais pas!
Ah, that explains it. You're a Frog!
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

12-08-2017, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Ah, that explains it. You're a Frog!
Old, But haven't croaked yet!

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top