Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 04:25 PM

Re: Anyone on Quinine?

There you go Newcomer, you will be better of just having the G & T instead of tablets.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Isn't it odd how things work differently in people's bodies, it's stopped my husbands restless legs, and cramp.

Mind he's sleep walking again ! But I'm not sure it's the drink doing that he's had bouts of it over the years that coincide with stress.
Tbh, it's probably not the quinine that causes it. I seem to get restless legs if I drink any fizzy drink late at night. It certainly does prevent the cramps though.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Newcomer ->
I
The side effects are as follows.
Tinnitus. Headaches. Nausea. Disturbed vision. Confusion.
Hot flushes.
I have the same problem after half a dozen schooners down the pub, however the solution is worse than the cause.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Newcomer ->
I have been contacted by my gp who has asked me to have a two week break from Quinine which I take for cramp supplied by the surgery. I have been given a leaflet of suggestions for self help without this medicine. Exercises and being the drinking more water being the biggest thing.
The side effects are as follows.
Tinnitus. Headaches. Nausea. Disturbed vision. Confusion.
Hot flushes.
The leaflet was by the NHS Dorset Clinic Commissioning Group.
You know what I am glad you posted this information.
I have been on quinine since the begining of time because of chest cramps and for the past 7yrs at least I have suffered badly with tinnitus.
Somedays I can't even hear the wife speaking to me.
Which I must admit can be a blessing at times.
Anyways I had given up mentioning it to my quack doctor years ago, because she could do nothing about it.
Just last week I was talking to my nephew he plays football and trains most days unless playing and he was drinking water with a Science in Sport Go Hydro Hydration Tablets and it stops cramps there are various flavours so I think I will try them out and stop using the quinine. Its gotta be worth a try if only to hear my sweet wifes voice again.

Thanks Newcomer.
longfellow
Chatterbox
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2017, 03:39 PM

Now 11 days into not taking quinine and still have tinitus.
Although I must admit I do have more quieter moments than I used to have.
Then it still returns with a vengance mostly when I wake after a nights sleep or a afternoon nap.
So for me quinine does not cause my tinitus.

Good point though is I have stopped suffering with the chest cramps these past few weeks so I will tell my gp I may not require it anymore.But just incase I will keep a box or two in the cupboard.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2017, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Now 11 days into not taking quinine and still have tinitus.
Although I must admit I do have more quieter moments than I used to have.
Then it still returns with a vengance mostly when I wake after a nights sleep or a afternoon nap.
So for me quinine does not cause my tinitus.

Good point though is I have stopped suffering with the chest cramps these past few weeks so I will tell my gp I may not require it anymore.But just incase I will keep a box or two in the cupboard.

Since you've been taking quinine for a long time, it might take some time to be eliminated entirely and therefore be patient and give it more time.
longfellow
Chatterbox

27-08-2017, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Since you've been taking quinine for a long time, it might take some time to be eliminated entirely and therefore be patient and give it more time.
Will do Doc..

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top