Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 10:09 AM

Re: Call Brexit Bluff - Tell EU They'll Get Nowt!

Hi

We will have to see if they do come crawling after us.

I am still of the opinion that we will be asking them for a transitional period and will not be cutting Immigration for years to any great extent.

I may well be wrong.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 10:10 AM

Somehow, I don't think that our 'negotiating team' will take the hard line. I can see them making all sorts of concessions and selling the country down the river.

If and when that happens, I can imagine that the Conservatives would lose many votes and sink to the level of, or even below, the Loony Party.

What situation would we be in then?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Somehow, I don't think that our 'negotiating team' will take the hard line. I can see them making all sorts of concessions and selling the country down the river.

If and when that happens, I can imagine that the Conservatives would lose many votes and sink to the level of, or even below, the Loony Party.

What situation would we be in then?
Hi

If they did take the hard line and it did not work, Labour would get in anyway.

Corbyn needs to borrow vast amounts, it would be a nightmare.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

If they did take the hard line and it did not work, Labour would get in anyway.

Corbyn needs to borrow vast amounts, it would be a nightmare.
I think that if they did take the hard line, they would have the support of the majority of voters, so their lead over the Loonies would be extended.

We shall see.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 10:36 AM

Again, I wonder why one should assume that if we walked away without paying, we would be deemed "untrustworthy" and "weak". Why do some put this country down so quickly? Surely we could also be seen just as well as "standing up to extortion by a dictatorial club".

By refusing to progress to trade talks unless and until a vast amount is paid by this country, is akin to Blackmail, If it was found that in reality we could indeed walk away without paying anything due to the fact that there is nothing in EU law that says a country that leaves the Bloc has to pay for that action. Then to hell with them. I don't want this government paying billions of our taxpayer monies just to appease them for us having the nerve to leave their wonderful utopia and to keep them sweet during the negotiations.

What this government should be looking for is a way of not paying anything that we do not have to. It is our money, not the governments. Just imagine what those billions of pounds the EU is trying to extort from us could pay for for those in this country.

Maybe, just maybe you are wrong! Instead of seeing us as weak and untrustworthy, other countries could perhaps see us as principled, incorruptable and able to stand up for ourselves.

Unfortunately, I won't hold my breath though with the calibre of politicans we have nowadays.

Where are you Maggie?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

11-08-2017, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Again, I wonder why one should assume that if we walked away without paying, we would be deemed "untrustworthy" and "weak". Why do some put this country down so quickly? Surely we could also be seen just as well as "standing up to extortion by a dictatorial club".

By refusing to progress to trade talks unless and until a vast amount is paid by this country, is akin to Blackmail, If it was found that in reality we could indeed walk away without paying anything due to the fact that there is nothing in EU law that says a country that leaves the Bloc has to pay for that action. Then to hell with them. I don't want this government paying billions of our taxpayer monies just to appease them for us having the nerve to leave their wonderful utopia and to keep them sweet during the negotiations.

What this government should be looking for is a way of not paying anything that we do not have to. It is our money, not the governments. Just imagine what those billions of pounds the EU is trying to extort from us could pay for for those in this country.

Maybe, just maybe you are wrong! Instead of seeing us as weak and untrustworthy, other countries could perhaps see us as principled, incorruptable and able to stand up for ourselves.

Unfortunately, I won't hold my breath though with the calibre of politicans we have nowadays.

Where are you Maggie?
Hi

I am totally in agreement with not paying a penny more than we are legally obliged to do.

Some of the things the EU are apparently asking for are, to my mind, ludicrous.

We have to comply with International Law and any agreements we may have signed with the EU.

Any disagreement will decided by one of two International Courts, not the ECJ.

Any disagreements we have about our share of the 80 odd Trade Agreements with Countries outside the EU we are part of will be decided by the WTO Arbitration Panel.

That is how the system works, that is how the World works.

The EU are looking after their own interests, we would do the same.

In regard to the interest rates we have to pay on our borrowing, these will be set by the International Markets and what they consider our rating to be, we have no input to that at all.

The UK Credit rating was cut following the Brexit result, we lost our top notch rating and now have a negative forecast.

These people have absolutely no interest in the UK, they are only interested in making money.

Our Government may well have a cunning plan and I may be wrong.

I hope I am
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-08-2017, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->

Where are you Maggie?
Agreed.

We should provide them with a bill of our own, say £100 billion, for all the investments we have made in their infrastructure over the years, and which they will continue to benefit from.

I'm sure our economists could put together a convincing financial record for their perusal which is more than they have managed to do for us. Probably something to do with their not having had their finances signed off for decades.

By the same token, if they refuse to pay us, will any other countries trust them to honour their debts?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Agreed.

We should provide them with a bill of our own, say £100 billion, for all the investments we have made in their infrastructure over the years, and which they will continue to benefit from.

I'm sure our economists could put together a convincing financial record for their perusal which is more than they have managed to do for us. Probably something to do with their not having had their finances signed off for decades.

By the same token, if they refuse to pay us, will any other countries trust them to honour their debts?
That's a good idea !
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 02:09 PM

Financial confidence in a country is dependent on it's respect for international agreements and laws. Ignoring international law puts us in the same group as tinpot dictatorships that nobody wants to trade with. It's down to our excellent negotiators to agree the best deal.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Financial confidence in a country is dependent on it's respect for international agreements and laws. Ignoring international law puts us in the same group as tinpot dictatorships that nobody wants to trade with. It's down to our excellent negotiators to agree the best deal.
The only Tinpot Dictatorships are the EUseless EU unelected bureaucratic set ups that bleeds us dry with laws and diktats we have hardly any control over.
All this while charging us around 10 BILLION POUNDS a year for the privilege of being in the club.
Get real Annie.
LETS GET OUT.
NOW!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top