Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2017, 08:14 PM

Re: Hysterectomy

Oh hec Floydy - what a worry for you all. Hopefully she won't need any further treatment after removal of the tumour and the hysterectomy. Fingers crossed and sending my best wishes for a speedy recovery to Mrs F.

Whilst I haven't had a hysterectomy I had my ovaries removed and some lumps (can't think of the name now). Anyway, the recovery period is the same as for having a hysterectomy ie no heavy lifting, no driving for 6 weeks etc etc etc.

I remember there was so much pain after and it never went away. I thought I was being a wuss so never said anything. After about 10 days, or it might have been longer, the wound burst open and foul liquid shot out. All the pain was from an infection.

I was a single parent of a 6yr old with no help - plus I didn't want her to see me incapacitated. So I had to get on, albeit slowly, so recovery was not the best. I only had 3 days rest. It was all a bit of a nightmare. I won't go into it all though.

Taking aside the pain of the infection, it was the limitations of movement I found a pain (haha). Lifting full pans, the kettle, even lifting up the rubbish from the swing bin just pulled on the wound. Not to mention no driving for 6 weeks. So tell her to make the most of your help

Oh, and I started the menopause straight away too. You didn't mention if Mrs F was having her ovaries removed, so maybe that won't happen.

Once again, I hope it all goes well petal.
channeal
Sussex UK
channeal is female  channeal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 01:40 PM

Here's the link to the Hystersisters Cancer section that I mentioned in my previous message: -

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/forumdisplay.php?f=6
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 01:49 PM

Best wishes for your wife Floydy
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Val J ->
So sorry to hear about your wife Floydy. I've no personal experience of hysterectomy but I'm sure you'll be encouraged by the comments of others on here. I wish your wife a speedy recovery, you seem to be a very caring fella and your support will help her get back to full health.
Originally Posted by Mags ->
I'm sorry to hear your wife is not well and needs surgery Floydy. I have no experience of this either but I hope all goes well for your wife and she makes a full recovery soon.

It is pleasing to read that some of our members have been able to give you their own personal experiences and advice which should help you and your wife to understand more what to expect with this operation.

My best wishes to you both.
Originally Posted by Bruv ->
I'm no help either but best wishes to you and the missus.
Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I wish your wife a speedy and good recovery. Didn't patients used to be told not to lift even a kettle? I wish her well.
Originally Posted by Cass ->
Good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery for your wife.

As others have said recovery is a few weeks although it will depend on her general health and if the op is traditional or internal the latter havuing an easier and slightly shorter recovery time.

The key words are gentle and little, gentle movements and as little bending or lifting /pulling etc as possible.

If your wife follows the hospitals advice there should be no problems.
Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Sorry to hear your wife is not too well, but I hope everything goes well for her and she is soon fully recovered.

I have a couple of friends who have had hysterectomies, both absolutely fine now. One of these friends always refers to her hysterectomy as her "hystericalectomy".
Thanks all, really nice words and very much appreciated right now as my wife prepares to go for the operation.
There are some very thoughtful, kind folk on this forum
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Floydy, you are married to a very mature and smart woman for paying heed to her symptoms and seeing a physician right away. Her prompt action saved her life, saved your children their mother, and saved you - your wife. The news is even better that she will be cured! In no time, life will be back to normal and your family will have survived what right now seems like a very powerful storm.

I know this is heavy on your wife's mind, and I wish her peace and support through the process. Would it be possible to plan something a few months away (like a short holiday) that she might look forward to? All good things to your family.
Thank you, Surfermom. Some useful advice there.
Depending on my wife's progress after the operation, I'll be booking a short weekend away on the North Sea Ferries, either to Amsterdam or Brugges. We'll see how things go
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

14-08-2017, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Oh, Floydy, that was a bit of a shock to read. What a worry for you all.
My mother was in her late sixties and was losing blood. She was diagnosed with cancer of the cervix and had to have a hysterectomy.
She didn't have to have any further treatment and lived until she was 82.
I wish your wife well and I'm sure she will be ok.
Thanks Art, I'm sure things will end up fine. Perhaps my wife will feel even better in the long run without this agonising complaint troubling here
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

14-08-2017, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by channeal ->
Hello Floydy,

I had a hysterectomy back in 2002 for the same reason your wife is having hers.

Everyone is different and how they recover from an operation like this varies from person to person. All I can say is that for me, everything went really smoothly. I had a bit of bad pain the first day, but they give you plenty of pain relief. After the first day, the pain was never really that bad. I rested for six weeks and enjoyed a nice break from doing the usual chores, as my husband and daughter took care of them for me! My recovery was without problem and I am still well all these years later. I remember being given some gloomy forecasts before my op on how hard it was all going to be, but was very glad afterwards that I didn't take any notice of them!

Whether your wife needs any further treatment will depend on what grade the cancer is. Has your wife being given a grade? I was very lucky as my cancer was only a Grade 1, Stage 1 and I did not need any further treatment.

I saw that somebody else on here recommended some websites. Can't access that post at the moment as am out in a cafe and using my phone, so not sure if Hystersisters was included. If not, I would thoroughly recommend that your wife looks it up as I found it invaluable when I had my hysterectomy. There is a cancer section on the forums and your wife can ask any questions she wants to there. It is a really good site.

I wish you and your wife all the best for a successful operation and hope all goes well afterwards. Do please keep us updated.

Chris.
This is excellent, Channeal. Very informative And thank you very much for the link.

I still haven't told my wife that I've been posting this on the forum yet as I'm not sure how she would take it. I do feel like I'm going behind her back though and maybe it's best to let her read the thread as there's some very useful and kind words in here. I may leave it until after the operation though as she's trying to clear the situation from her mind at present. I'll wait until she's in recovery and perhaps pring the whole thread out for her.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

14-08-2017, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Oh hec Floydy - what a worry for you all. Hopefully she won't need any further treatment after removal of the tumour and the hysterectomy. Fingers crossed and sending my best wishes for a speedy recovery to Mrs F.

Whilst I haven't had a hysterectomy I had my ovaries removed and some lumps (can't think of the name now). Anyway, the recovery period is the same as for having a hysterectomy ie no heavy lifting, no driving for 6 weeks etc etc etc.

I remember there was so much pain after and it never went away. I thought I was being a wuss so never said anything. After about 10 days, or it might have been longer, the wound burst open and foul liquid shot out. All the pain was from an infection.

I was a single parent of a 6yr old with no help - plus I didn't want her to see me incapacitated. So I had to get on, albeit slowly, so recovery was not the best. I only had 3 days rest. It was all a bit of a nightmare. I won't go into it all though.

Taking aside the pain of the infection, it was the limitations of movement I found a pain (haha). Lifting full pans, the kettle, even lifting up the rubbish from the swing bin just pulled on the wound. Not to mention no driving for 6 weeks. So tell her to make the most of your help

Oh, and I started the menopause straight away too. You didn't mention if Mrs F was having her ovaries removed, so maybe that won't happen.

Once again, I hope it all goes well petal.
Thank you, Pesta, and for being so open about your own experience. It is very enlightening and I'm sure your words will be very useful to refer to if my wife has similar problems or side effects. Hopefully you are fully recovered now, it sounds awful what you went through.
Keep your chin up, Pesta and remember there are some great people on this forum who are willing to chat anytime, like yourself
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

14-08-2017, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Best wishes for your wife Floydy
Thanks Muddy, appreciated

I'll certainly keep you all informed.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

15-08-2017, 02:56 PM

I had a word with my boss last night and I said there was no way I'll be back at work Sunday as would be expected. He understood completely and spoke with the Ops Manager this morning before we left who was brilliant for giving me a week's extra holiday free plus another week unpaid, which I'm very happy to take. This means I can be there with my wife to help her with stuff until the worst of the pain is over. This all starts from Wednesday night.

I'm sure everything will be alright with the operation, it's just a bit touch and go with the side effects and if chemo gets involved. Let's hope not. I reckon as long as my wife is comfortable for an hour or so, she said I can nip to the gym, shops etc. Playing it all by ear pending the outcome of the op though. I'll keep you all posted

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top