Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 07:34 AM

Re: Solo holidays

I've done it twice with dogs and it was fine, but only in this country and only to our own caravans. It's not something I'd chose again but I'm a hopeless case really, I missed my husband so much I couldn't stop texting him and worrying about the kids and texting them. My text bill was bigger than my food bill those weeks.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Leeby123 ->
Well, after looking at the brochure, I'm set on Australia next year. In for a penny in for a pound. If you are going to do it......do it good
Good for you - go for it.

A neighbour of mine lost her husband and could not bear to face the idea of Christmas without him (despite having children locally), so although she had never travelled alone before, she went to New Zealand for a six week tour. She absolutely loved it and said it was the best thing she could have done.

Sadly she has now passed away due to breast cancer, so it just goes to show you should seize the day.

Go for it.
Leeby123
Chester uk
Leeby123 is female  Leeby123 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 01:39 PM

Thanks all so much for your replies. I am seriously thinking about the Oz trip, but looking for a short break for around November. Seeing as it's my first solo holiday
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 02:11 PM

I hope you enjoy yourself Leeby.
Smile
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2017, 08:20 AM

Thanks all so much for your replies. I am seriously thinking about the Oz trip, but looking for a short break for around November. Seeing as it's my first solo holiday
There's a wonderful hotel in Crete which caters for "solo independent travellers". I first heard about them in 2011 when the Guardian wrote a wonderful review about them and have since had two holidays with them.
Their website is: www.singlesincrete.com

Another company I'd recommend is TravelOne - I'm about to go to Turkey with them. They represent good value, inexpensive, sociable holidays.

Also - I've been on a couple of holidays with the Ramblers - they have no single supplement holidays - obviously with walking but lots of sightseeing too. Safe and sociable!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2017, 11:09 AM

Well, after looking at the brochure, I'm set on Australia next year. In for a penny in for a pound. If you are going to do it......do it good
Avoid 20th Dec (ish) to end of January - school holidays and the hottest time of the year. October to November or February to early April is the nicest time for the temperate zones.

However if you want to see the tropics then you need the dry season - late April to October (ish)
Tartlet
UK
Tartlet is female  Tartlet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2017, 12:47 AM

I've been taking solo holidays for about 10 years now since my husband decided he preferred to forgo all the hassle with airports etc., and stay at home. Fortunately he doesn't mind me going without him.

I tried a holiday with Just You once and met some lovely people but I disliked the courier/tour guide and her herding around so haven't tried it again.

These days I prefer cruises because they're a very safe environment and there's company if you want it or solitude if you prefer that. The only problem, as with other holidays, is the hefty single supplement. I'm off on one next month and am looking forward to it immensely as it's ancient history themed and I enjoy that.

I'd recommend anyone to try a solo holiday once. It gets easier and it's lovely to be able to please yourself what you do and not have to compromise - for a little while at least.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top