Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 05:39 PM

My family partition and me

BBC 1 weds. 9.00pm

This is a programme showing three families who came to the Uk after the partition of India .
Historical colourful and poignant .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/pro...rtition-and-me
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 05:47 PM

Re: My family partition and me

This morning on the Jeremy Vine programme I heard a man call in with his family history.

It was utterly utterly horrifying.

He was recalling how his grandfather had been advised to kill all the females in his family...this was the usual advice apparently...his wife and three girls, to save them from certain rape and murder.

I had no idea of the violence this Partition caused, we never studied it at school or College (why???).

Part of this man's story was broadcast again on the news this afternoon.

They said that for hundreds of years the various religions had existed, by and large happily, side by side.

I cannot believe that I reached my age never knowing or being taught such a major chunk of history.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 05:51 PM

You have to watch this programme .
It started last week you can see it on catch up.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 06:21 PM

Brilliant programme about a time in history that has been ignored by schools and media alike.

Terrible violent stories but yet very touching when those featured went 'back'to their home towns.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2017, 08:51 AM

BBV Breakfast showed some clips this morning, and interviewed two whose families were involved.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

15-08-2017, 08:55 AM

It was so sad one poor old man going back to his once family home .
Just shows sometimes you shouldn't go back .
Children often remember things as happy times best to leave it like that .
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2017, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
This morning on the Jeremy Vine programme I heard a man call in with his family history.

It was utterly utterly horrifying.

He was recalling how his grandfather had been advised to kill all the females in his family...this was the usual advice apparently...his wife and three girls, to save them from certain rape and murder.

I had no idea of the violence this Partition caused, we never studied it at school or College (why???).

Part of this man's story was broadcast again on the news this afternoon.

They said that for hundreds of years the various religions had existed, by and large happily, side by side.

I cannot believe that I reached my age never knowing or being taught such a major chunk of history.

Unless you had any family connection to India/Pakhistan why would you??? When you were at school, these events were 'modern' history and therefore too 'new' to be taught as history per se.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2017, 03:58 PM

Watching it now, from Catch Up.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2017, 06:47 PM

There are a few really interesting documentaires on this week about India but like the gay pride programmes they all seem to be on a silly times late at night..

Im recording several of them but really couldnt they have been shown at more resonable times maybe instead of one of the awful soap shows.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

16-08-2017, 09:27 PM

Part two on now,
Its so sad watching these old men talk still so affected by what happened 70 years ago.
A fascinating and harrowing documentary.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top