Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2017, 10:35 PM

DSLR v Camcorder

Having a discussion on another site which is better. i maintain that a Camcorder or video recorder is far better than any DSLR on the market. others disagree but when asked about zoom capabilities they have no answer.
I am not saying DSLR's don't do a good job at videos but you need the proper tools for the job.

My point trying to get across is if DSLR's are that good then why don't news crews use them or in a TV studio use them.
Mister_Oy
NW UK
Mister_Oy is male  Mister_Oy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2017, 11:09 PM

Re: DSLR v Camcorder

Both have their uses.

They filmed at least one full series of "House M.D." (Hugh Laurie) using Canon 5D MkII DSLRs. And they're old tech now.

TV film Crews don't use Camcorders either. They use pro quality video cameras that take interchangeable lenses that cost more than the average Joe Bloggs earn in a year. E.g. the Arri Alexa that will set you back about £90k for a decent setup.

But - comparing camcorders to DSLRs...

I have and use both Camcorder (Canon XA20) and DSLR (Nikon D800) professionally and for image quality and creative control the DSLR blows the Camcorder away. I like to control depth of field during a scene - using very wide apertures like F/1.4 (with ND filters to bring the shutters speed down the required 1/50 or 1/100" for UK mains sync.) I can't do that with a small sensor camcorder with a built in lens and max F2.8 (equates to about F/8 for DOF on that small sensor)

Camcorder = amateur footage with minimal creative control. Point & shoot and ease of use. Yes, they have a good zoom range.

DSLR = Creative control, superior image quality and low light performance. Harder to use for sure but the client doesn't much care how easy or hard it is.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2017, 11:27 PM

Re: DSLR v Camcorder

exactly what I am saying DSLR cameras are useless for long distance zooming.
The D800 which I have picks up all the clicks when changing focus unless in manual mode for camera and lens.

Try hand holding that and manually changing focus with a zoom lens attached, let alone panning

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top