Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 10:05 PM

Re: IMMIGRATION And BREXIT

Originally Posted by deylon ->
But we were not being governed and told what to do by Germany Britain had a seat at the table with other countries, able to put forward our views Now we will no longer be able to sit at this table ,we will be a little Country alone isolated.
We are heavily outnumbered in the EU. We could certainly put forward our views, but did anyone listen?

We don't want to sit at their table and be told what to do by the French who, of course, have always been jealous of us.

We are much better off being 'a little country alone isolated' as we were before we became under the aegis of the EU. Strangely, we seem to have managed then well enough.

Who will we trade with ,how can we compete with the Euro market/With so many countries offering goods they will be able to offer a better ,cheaper deal than our little country can, what can we offer that the Euro market cant ?.
We shall trade with the many countries in the wider world which have already made overtures toward us, just as we did when we were a free nation. Once again, you assure us that we are a 'little country'. Well, for your information, this 'little country' is the fifth biggest economy in the world and, provided that we ignore defeatists like you, we shall thrive and, in my opinion, expand.

We will always have immigration ,always have for 1000 of years, whoever we trade with will want their people to be allowed to work and live here.
Nothing wrong with immigration as long as we can control it. We should limit immigration to those who would benefit this country and deny those who want to come here for all the freebies they have heard about. That is one of the reasons why many of us voted for Brexit.

Many good safety regulations came from Europe.I.E food colouring, fire safety on furniture
Do you think we are incapable of making our own safety regulations, like all of those we have been putting in place for decades before we joined the EU? You try to make it sound as if we cannot survive without the brilliant ideas the EU have come up with. What little faith you have of our country. Perhaps you should go and live in one of those wonderful vassal states that will remain in the EU.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 10:37 PM

Hi

The UK is evenly split JBR, it was not an overwhelming vote for leaving.

Many of our problems have been attributed to the EU by our Politicians, it has been a useful scapegoat for decades.

When we leave they will have to step up a gear or two to deliver, they will be up against some much smarter people than Juncker in the big bad world.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The UK is evenly split JBR, it was not an overwhelming vote for leaving.

Many of our problems have been attributed to the EU by our Politicians, it has been a useful scapegoat for decades.

When we leave they will have to step up a gear or two to deliver, they will be up against some much smarter people than Juncker in the big bad world.
I have heard otherwise from several sources, that the proportion of Leavers compared to Remainers is now roughly 70:30

I completely agree that a successful Brexit depends entirely on our politicians. With people like Hammond around the table I don't hold out much hope. If only the right people were in place - Jacob Rees-Mogg immediately springs to mind - we would have a much better chance of a favourable outcome.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 12:29 AM

There is no way of knowing without having another vote, something nobody has stomach for. Most people are sick and tired of brexit and the shambles it's become.

Fact is that people are realising that brexit isn't going to be the golden panacea it was painted as during the referendum propaganda. They are realising our inept systems are nothing to do with the EU and everything to do with our internal policies. So those who voted to protest because of uncontrolled immigration are resigned to the fact that immigration will continue because we always had control of it but didn't put systems in place to manage it. Businesses don't know whether they are coming or going and in the meantime excuses are being made for deep tory cuts to much needed public services because brexit means sacrifices have to be made to "take back control".

The brexit plane is on the runway, we haven't re-fueled, nobody has made basic safety checks and there is a severe weather warning but we still think we are going to take off to destination unknown...
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I have heard otherwise from several sources, that the proportion of Leavers compared to Remainers is now roughly 70:30

I completely agree that a successful Brexit depends entirely on our politicians. With people like Hammond around the table I don't hold out much hope. If only the right people were in place - Jacob Rees-Mogg immediately springs to mind - we would have a much better chance of a favourable outcome.
Hi

A year ago the UK was very narrowly split, I have no idea what the proportion is now, nor what it will be when the full details of the negotiations are known.

I do not agree with you about Rees Mogg , he is far too Gung Ho about the situation.

I know that I am a boring Technocrat, I will never change when I have my works head on, getting things right is important.

To my mind, our Government should have been honest with us immediately after the Referendum.

Well Voters, Cameron had no plan for leaving.

We need to get everything in place ready for Brexit.

It is impossible to do this in the timescale for Article 50.

We are now going to put everything in place as soon as we can to give us the best possible outcome.

We are introducing new laws to give us the powers to Compulsory Purchase land and build new Customs Areas, to build new Immigration Facilities at our Airports and recruit and train new staff and develop, test and install the new computer systems we need.

During this getting ready period we will be introducing some new laws.

First of all, we will only be paying Child Benefit to those children here in the UK with their Parents.

Secondly, we will be making it illegal for UK Companies to advertise for workers in the EU unless they have advertised in the UK first.

Thirdly, we are changing our Benefits system, no Immigrant, other than Refugees approved by the UK, gets any Benefits for the first 5 years, including Housing Benefit.

Simple, basic things, and the EU could do nothing about it, any referral to the ECJ would take years, by which time we would be out.

We have done none of these things, so now having to go and ask for a favour in the form of a transition period.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 08:32 AM

Anyone got a paddle?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 08:34 AM

Purs thats the second time recently you have said something mildly amusing
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 08:48 AM

The truth of the matter is that our politicians want an easy life and none have the strength to fight for good terms to leave the EU. None of them thought the British would vote for Brexit, so now they don't know how to handle it!

Who are responsible for this? WE, the British public are!
We vote people into government, but how many of us write to our MP when we are unhappy with the decisions that are made in parliament?

Why can't we find the time to write to our MP's, to let them know how we feel about their decisions? We should let them know our votes will go elsewhere if they don't listen to the people who voted them in! It seems to me that we all have plenty of time to criticize our government, but very few make the effort to let them know what they are doing wrong!

Instead of following a particular Party, who frequently make their manifesto a pack of lies which are disguised as the truth, we should vote on their performance and complain when they get it wrong.
I have no trust in any politician, but I don't sit and moan about them , I write to them!

If we had all bothered to write, regarding the way the EU has dramatically changed from the Common Market to the EU, we probably would never have had to make the choice between staying and leaving. It is now time to let our politicians know that we will only vote for people who prove they are up to the job!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 09:06 AM

I do write to my MP .
He usually sends back some placebo letter ( he is a doctor)
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

17-08-2017, 09:11 AM

Hi

A brilliant post Twink.

To my mind we are stuck in a time warp, a 2 party system based on political ideologies, rather than what is best for the Country.

Whenever we get a change of Government we spend £Billions undoing what the previous Government have done.

We have absolutely no long term planning, unlike other Countries.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top