Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 10:50 PM

Re: Waste of Pills

Originally Posted by carol ->
Is it wrong to wrap unwanted pills up into a tight parcel & put them in the dustbin?
I dont think that is a good idea. Non-recyclable waste goes into landfill and over time the contents would leach into the land I would have thought. Far better to take them back to the pharmacy. I just collect mine up in a plastic bag and hand them over the counter.

Slightly off topic: After discharge from hospital last year I had to inject myself every day for a month. I was given a sharp's bin to put the used hypodermics in. At the end of the month I tried everywhere to find someone who would take them. My GP, the chemist and the hospital, none of them would accept them. I took them to the hospital when I was to see my consultant and she asked why I was carrying a sharps bin? I told her that no-one would accept them, so she took them from me and said she would leave them in the sluice and deny all knowledge of where they had come from. How ludicrous was that?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 11:18 PM

Does it really matter if they leach into the landfill?
It will be full of so much ghastly rubbish it wont make much difference.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
I dont think that is a good idea. Non-recyclable waste goes into landfill and over time the contents would leach into the land I would have thought. Far better to take them back to the pharmacy. I just collect mine up in a plastic bag and hand them over the counter.

Slightly off topic: After discharge from hospital last year I had to inject myself every day for a month. I was given a sharp's bin to put the used hypodermics in. At the end of the month I tried everywhere to find someone who would take them. My GP, the chemist and the hospital, none of them would accept them. I took them to the hospital when I was to see my consultant and she asked why I was carrying a sharps bin? I told her that no-one would accept them, so she took them from me and said she would leave them in the sluice and deny all knowledge of where they had come from. How ludicrous was that?

That is really bad IMO CeeCee.

I thought they would have supplied you with a temporary sharp's bin.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 09:06 AM

I would like to think someone could find them if they are in your rubbish they could pose a danger to others, if they get to landfill often these sites are eventually built on would any of us want to live on land that may be poisoned by medication ? Much better to just take them back to the pharmacy.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->

Aha I know where to take them your local council is the place disposes of them, I have to ring up and book an appointment then leave my bin by my recycling and a nice man in a van turns up about 6am and picks it up. Then within 10 days the council send me a new bin in the post.

It's not a service you have to pay for either so brilliant once you know who has responsibility for them. They take adult nappies etc too I see them come and pick up a neighbours bag each week.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 09:18 PM

I spoke to the pharmacist at my new place today, showed him several boxes [ some unopened] 0f my previous prescribed pills.At first he said I could use them up before starting on the new ones, but then he remembered that my pills are now sorted into separate daily compartments, so he said to leave them and hed get rid of them ,I said that seemed a waste so he said he would use them in my next prescription , in the relevant containers, but I have a feeling that he will just throw them away because they were not prescribed by his pharmacy and [ although the same names ] they are different shapes and colours to the ones my previous pharmacy gave me,It still seems a dreadful waste of prescribed medication but nothing I can do about it now
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 08:32 PM

I still have a Sharps needle unused,I dont know where to take it.I was told to stop using them when I still had this one left.Any ideas where I can take it to ?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

24-08-2017, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
I still have a Sharps needle unused,I dont know where to take it.I was told to stop using them when I still had this one left.Any ideas where I can take it to ?
Council but you have to put it in a sharps box, give your council a ring they will send you one and arrange collection.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top