Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mister_Oy
NW UK
Mister_Oy is male  Mister_Oy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 08:27 PM

Knot a bad day

Knot snoozing on the beach at Red Wharf Bay, Anglesey.

gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 09:14 PM

Re: Knot a bad day

A cracking photo, but, with all due respect, it looks more like a juvenile Dunlin, rather than a Knot. Without seeing its beak, it's not 100% and the legs of a Knot are Grey - Green.
Mister_Oy
NW UK
Mister_Oy is male  Mister_Oy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by gasman ->
A cracking photo, but, with all due respect, it looks more like a juvenile Dunlin, rather than a Knot. Without seeing its beak, it's not 100% and the legs of a Knot are Grey - Green.
Yep - you're right.

Filename confused me. I had these as Knot but then changed my mind to Dunlin back in May when I first stuck them online. Forgot to change the filename

Here's the beaky shot.

gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2017, 09:32 PM

No worries mate, they are both cracking shots of a lovely bird.
Mister_Oy
NW UK

17-08-2017, 09:42 PM

He had a little pal.

Ringed Plover

gasman
Kent, UK

17-08-2017, 09:55 PM

What a cute pair they look together
Was this taken with your Fuji again? Do you still use the D800?
Mister_Oy
NW UK

17-08-2017, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by gasman ->
What a cute pair they look together
Was this taken with your Fuji again? Do you still use the D800?
Yes - not much.

I tend to use the D800 for work - but even that less and less.
gasman
Kent, UK

17-08-2017, 10:30 PM

I have read the reviews on the Fuji and they sound really impressive. It shows how good it is with your photos. I'm still getting to grips with the 800 and new lens, but, hopefully, I'll get there
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 08:35 AM

Its an adult Dunlin, black belly is diagnostic.

An adult dunlin in breeding plumage shows the distinctive black belly which no other similar-sized wader possesses. The winter dunlin is basically grey above and white below. Juveniles are brown above with two whitish "V" shapes on the back. They usually have black marks on the flanks or belly and show a strong white wingbar in flight.

The legs and slightly decurved bill are black. There are a number of subspecies differing mainly in the extent of rufous colouration in the breeding plumage and the bill length. Bill length varies between sexes, the females having longer bills than the males.

They can be variable in size,but ive not gone down that route..........
........yet.

Excellent set showing great feather definition.
Mister_Oy
NW UK

18-08-2017, 08:53 AM

Thanks Nom. I know - read upwards

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top