Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2016, 10:02 AM

Was It Really Better ?

This was seen on another forum and it had a huge response reviving so many old memories. Thought you might enjoy it.

The history section brings back so many happy memories of childhood, but I am thinking....were things really better back then or was it just because we were children and didn't know all the evil in the world? We had no internet or mobile phones to google things, plus you never watched the News anyway because it was boring. Once the magic roundabout was over you didn't wait to watch Robert Dougal reading the News.
People who were old when we were kids would talk of the good old days and say things were better back in their day.
Is it our memory that makes us think things were better and also what will todays children say when they're in their 40's and 50's about how their life was back in the 2000's?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2016, 10:07 AM

Re: Was It Really Better ?

I'm a big fan of evolution, I love to see what we thought futuristic become reality.

I don't think times have ever been better, the past is the past and that's a good thing imho.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2016, 10:39 AM

It may not have been better but it was more polite, that's something I mourn personally I don't think Internet has helped either the rudeness has taken over.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2016, 10:42 AM

Maybe the rudeness has always been there.......judging by some on here and other sites, the ages of those that are seen to be rude just proves it isn't unique to the youngsters of today.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2016, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Maybe the rudeness has always been there.......judging by some on here and other sites, the ages of those that are seen to be rude just proves it isn't unique to the youngsters of today.
Ah but it was hidden under politeness. So at least we weren't faced with it everyday. I think youngsters are more polite on forums than we are, I am on several forums and the younger members are generally very polite.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

24-08-2016, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Ah but it was hidden under politeness. So at least we weren't faced with it everyday. I think youngsters are more polite on forums than we are, I am on several forums and the younger members are generally very polite.
I'm confused.
So, the rude people of yesteryear hid their rudeness under a cloak of politeness but have now removed the cloak of politeness to reveal their rudeness?
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2016, 10:54 AM

I do think that the younger generation are often more polite ,some of the rudeness ive seen on here and on other forums from older people have been shocking...I agree with Julie and think that the rudeness was hidden under politeness ,wether that was a good thing or not it saved having to be confronted with bad attitudes and rudeness.....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

24-08-2016, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
I do think that the younger generation are often more polite ,some of the rudeness ive seen on here and on other forums from older people have been shocking...I agree with Julie and think that the rudeness was hidden under politeness ,wether that was a good thing or not it saved having to be confronted with bad attitudes and rudeness.....
Yes that's exactly what I meant.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2016, 11:06 AM

I suppose it depends who you are (or were). If you were a homosexual the past must have been somewhat daunting - same goes for any that were considered 'different' from the norm.

I think the internet has made people very much more aware of how things are all over the world and, of course, they are able to share their own views with others, which is all education at the end of the day.

Is it any better now? I suppose it is in all sorts of ways though I wonder what the future will be like?

Originally Posted by Oogway Kung Fu Panda
There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2016, 11:24 AM

I just had to self moderate, the thought was funny, but beyond the bounds.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top