Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2020, 10:29 PM

Re: Stained glass lamp shade

Wow JB, love that - beautiful colours and the effect on the wall is stunning!

Can I ask, did you cut each piece of glass yourself and did you break any in the wrong place?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2020, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Wow JB, love that - beautiful colours and the effect on the wall is stunning!

Can I ask, did you cut each piece of glass yourself and did you break any in the wrong place?
Thanks Pest.

Yes, I cut the glass, I ground the edges, I copper-foiled all the pieces, I tinned all the copper foil on all the pieces, I arranged all the pieces one by one on the former that I had made and fluxed and tack-soldered each to its neighbour, I bead-soldered all the solder joints, I washed the completed thing in its entirety, I patinaed all the external solder joints, washed the whole thing again then, finally, placed the shade on a mounting bracket on the standard lamp!

Yes, it was quite a long job!

I think the most interesting, and time-consuming, part was deciding where to place all of the pieces to ensure they were all closely adjacent to others for the sake of strength and stability. That was rather like doing a jigsaw!

Oh, and yes, I did cut some in the wrong place, but not many. I also cut my fingers several times, usually when using the grinder; then I realised I should use a pair of leather gloves!

Wow! I bet you wish you'd never asked!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2020, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Thanks Pest.

Yes, I cut the glass, I ground the edges, I copper-foiled all the pieces, I tinned all the copper foil on all the pieces, I arranged all the pieces one by one on the former that I had made and fluxed and tack-soldered each to its neighbour, I bead-soldered all the solder joints, I washed the completed thing in its entirety, I patinaed all the external solder joints, washed the whole thing again then, finally, placed the shade on a mounting bracket on the standard lamp!

Yes, it was quite a long job!

I think the most interesting, and time-consuming, part was deciding where to place all of the pieces to ensure they were all closely adjacent to others for the sake of strength and stability. That was rather like doing a jigsaw!

Oh, and yes, I did cut some in the wrong place, but not many. I also cut my fingers several times, usually when using the grinder; then I realised I should use a pair of leather gloves!

Wow! I bet you wish you'd never asked!

Oh, nooooo - I'm glad I did! I loved reading how that wonderful 'all consuming, totally engrossed' feeling took it's hold, and the feeling of satisfaction/pride you would've felt looking at the finished product

I've not been able to find anything to get my itchy fingers going - so feel really envious of you!

I'd love to do something like that but know my hands couldn't take the strain, nor would my purse.

BTW, did you have to send off for the glass?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Oh, nooooo - I'm glad I did! I loved reading how that wonderful 'all consuming, totally engrossed' feeling took it's hold, and the feeling of satisfaction/pride you would've felt looking at the finished product

I've not been able to find anything to get my itchy fingers going - so feel really envious of you!

I'd love to do something like that but know my hands couldn't take the strain, nor would my purse.

BTW, did you have to send off for the glass?
There are a number of places where you can buy the glass. I use Pearson's in Liverpool. Marge and I went there pre-Covid to choose some glass, but since the plague I have purchased the glass online.

There is a wide range of colours and types of glass, which makes it even more interesting.

Do you think you might be interested in doing some glass work? There are plenty of instructional videos online or, better still, a short introductory course locally (hopefully) - that's what I did anyway.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 12:36 AM

Thanks GM.

Hope you and Hazel are keeping well. Marge and I hope you both have a wonderful Christmas.
No worries mate and we are both OK. Have a great time and love to Marge
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 09:21 AM

Just blinkin gorgeous....i love it JBR..well done!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

19-12-2020, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Just blinkin gorgeous....i love it JBR..well done!
Thanks Summer.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 12:15 PM

I'll raise a 'glass' to you in this evenings tipple JB...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

19-12-2020, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I'll raise a 'glass' to you in this evenings tipple JB...
Well, you could send me one!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 10:22 PM

Well, you could send me one!
One on it's way after lockdown JB....

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top