Join for free
Page 17 of 21 « First < 7 15 16 17 18 19 > Last »
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2015, 11:18 AM

Re: Benefits Britain!

And I might add, to support Julie's words, internal repairs to the property are the responsibility of the owner. So if the heating packs up, or the boiler needs new elements, or the plumbing needs seeing to, it is the owner who picks up the bill.

I have known a neighbour pay a plumber's bill of over £300 when their boiler element has gone! I paid £150 last year, having both replaced. Was she ripped off, or what? And that was some years ago.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2015, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Julie is in shared ownership accommodation, just like I am! They are marketed for people on low incomes and the scheme is an affordable way of getting into property. I've said it time and time again, I did this 21 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did. The rental portion is heavily subsidised, so outgoings are within reach.

When the noise monitoring equipment was installed Friday I asked about selling and asked the question both I and my neighbour want to know: must we sell at the HA's valuation? Can it not sell for market value? She replied, because the rent is heavily subsidised, it must go for the cheaper option, to give other buyers the opportunity. Service charges (in my case) are taken each month with the rent and put into a fund, the breakdown of which is given every year, the budget and what is spent. We are never given a huge bill, unless there is a deficit on the budget at the year end, but it is well managed and we usually pay less than £100 each flat for the shortfall.

As an example, my monthly contribution to service charges, buildings insurance, repairs etc is about £84. The remainder (about £135) covers the rent on the 50% of the property I don't own. I pay about £219 a month then to the HA. ( I cannot speak for Julie and her financial situation, as every complex is different. And of course her financial situation is her own business.)

Hope this clarifies some confusion over costs of repairs, etc.

This is one reason I don't want to sell as my outgoings would then soar!
Yes that's how ours started sadly we were taken over by a housing association and we have seen our rents saw to near private rental rates, and our service charges hit £2000 last year. In first 20 years of living here I would have recommended it to anyone, low rents, low service charges (£200 per annum)last 6 years it has changed enormously and the council no longer buy back the flats, we have to put them on open market, but few people want a shared ownership property on the terms we now have them, so people are abandoning them handing back the keys, and then the housing association rents them to council tenants.

But central point is no one gets benefit for service charges. Which seems to be what I am being accused of lying about.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2015, 11:24 AM

And I might add, to support Julie's words, internal repairs to the property are the responsibility of the owner. So if the heating packs up, or the boiler needs new elements, or the plumbing needs seeing to, it is the owner who picks up the bill.

I have known a neighbour pay a plumber's bill of over £300 when their boiler element has gone! I paid £150 last year, having both replaced. Was she ripped off, or what? And that was some years ago.
Indeed we had to replace the bathroom £7000, water pump £1000, boiler needs doing next but we are no longer in a financial position to do it so will eventually have to do without I guess.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2015, 11:27 AM

I'm so glad I'm now a council tenant in respect of housing repairs.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

22-03-2015, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Myra ->
Yes I really wish we were they have all had new boilers and kitchens and bathrooms and are currently getting new windows. I don't begrudge them those things just wish we could all have them.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2015, 11:35 AM

Which is why I might end up selling to take a rented HA flat. But for the life of me I can't think of the words I need! Arrgghhh....senior moment. Help me, someone.

ETA: sheltered housing! That's what I wanted to remember, warden assisted. Rents are of course higher than what I pay, but can include heating, hot water and launderettes.

Phew, thought I'd be all day trying to think of that.
That's my aim, to get something like that.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

22-03-2015, 11:40 AM

Which is why I might end up selling to take a rented HA flat. But for the life of me I can't think of the words I need! Arrgghhh....senior moment. Help me, someone.
Will you be allowed to do that Jazzi ? it has been mad very plain to us if we give up our flat we won't be allowed to bid on anything else ever ! They consider us housed and if we leave we will not be their responsibility.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2015, 11:41 AM

Commenting on figures published today (Thursday) by the Department for Work and Pensions, which show that benefit fraud accounts for just 0.7 per cent of the welfare budget, TUC General Secretary Frances O'Grady said:

'People have been brainwashed into believing that the benefits system is riddled with fraud. In fact it accounts for just 0.7 per cent of the welfare budget and that proportion is not increasing.

'While benefit fraud is a problem, these figures show there is a significant issue with underpayment too, with one in ten housing benefit claimants being underpaid at a time when living costs are soaring.

'Instead of seeking to demonise those on benefits, ministers should be getting tough on tax-evading companies who are cheating the Treasury out of £25bn a year.'

Polling carried out by the TUC in January, showed that on average people think that 27 per cent of the welfare budget is claimed fraudulently. The government's own figure is 0.7 per cent.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collec...benefit-system
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2015, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Commenting on figures published today (Thursday) by the Department for Work and Pensions, which show that benefit fraud accounts for just 0.7 per cent of the welfare budget, TUC General Secretary Frances O'Grady said:

'People have been brainwashed into believing that the benefits system is riddled with fraud. In fact it accounts for just 0.7 per cent of the welfare budget and that proportion is not increasing.

'While benefit fraud is a problem, these figures show there is a significant issue with underpayment too, with one in ten housing benefit claimants being underpaid at a time when living costs are soaring.

'Instead of seeking to demonise those on benefits, ministers should be getting tough on tax-evading companies who are cheating the Treasury out of £25bn a year.'

Polling carried out by the TUC in January, showed that on average people think that 27 per cent of the welfare budget is claimed fraudulently. The government's own figure is 0.7 per cent.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collec...benefit-system
There must be so many people out there who aren't getting benefits they are entitled to.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

22-03-2015, 12:00 PM

There must be so many people out there who aren't getting benefits they are entitled to.
Indeed and while we demonise people on benefit and make them feel they shouldn't be able to afford eg a holiday I can only see it getting worse. Benefits should enable people to live a reasonable and meaningful life.

Page 17 of 21 « First < 7 15 16 17 18 19 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top