Join for free
Page 8 of 21 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 18 > Last »
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2015, 04:50 PM

Re: Benefits Britain!

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
These kind of programmes only ever show the worst side of the people on benefits and work in the favour of the government in demonising people. It serves their purpose when it comes to cutting benefits.
The woman who had eight children, was in a win, win situation when it comes to rent arrears. She knows the council will not make her homeless, her children are her shield when it comes to her irresponsibility.
That's precisely why people "get away with it" when it comes down to Benefits being abused and no amount of tweaking or Government legislation will ever make any difference to the hardcore who know damn well they are safe.

I don't watch programmes like this because they are designed to cause outrage or sympathy as clearly shown in the responses here and I'd rather not have it rammed in my face again.

I also am more than a little suspicious of this type of programme as the political impact is often more outrage than sympathy - who's backing-up who - and why?

You can apply the calculator to just about any sector or subject of society and find out the costs to society of acting on benefits claimants where children are involved is the highest cost with the disabled and the elderly following on yet it's the disabled and the elderly that get hit first, every time.

It doesn't matter what government is in power either as it is always the disabled and the elderly that get the least consideration and compassion and it is the young and children who are considered more important.

What was the point of all that high-profile, political point-scoring and legislation for the disabled in 2010 if it wasn't to boost the standing of political parties and by the way, who was in power at that time?

Just keep an eye on the media for a few months when there's NOT an election looming and note just how many times a government move is against the disabled and / or the elderly with some kind of new initiative coming out, regular as clockwork, for the younger generations, yet the "grey vote" is by far the biggest section of the electorate, or so I read only a short time ago.

Oh well, I'll just fill in my PIP Application when it comes through and see how I get on but I won't have any feelings of guilt whatsoever as I am entitled to PIP, just as I am entitled to the Winter Fuel Allowance. stevmk2
Markey1
London
Markey1 is male  Markey1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2015, 06:09 PM

Council will evict families that doesn't pay their part rent , but It is a joke how they only have to pay few pounds aweek , but end up owing thousands in rent , it should be a council policy not to re home them , but you can reply to another. Council to get re home if you have children , or go on their council list .

See most rents department gets a yearly bonus , to meet Their targets , ito get rents on time , in my partner office, the directors will get several thousand a year , and on the floor staff get between £500 to £1500 , no rent no bonus
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2015, 06:57 PM

I was just having a rant today. I just felt a bit annoyed. I sincerely do not grudge families getting benefits if the parents are desperately seeking work. It must be very difficult and soul destroying. I am feeling bad about posting here today and will now zip it!
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2015, 07:04 PM

some want everything for nothing and aren't willing to work to support themselves nor their family
Markey1
London
Markey1 is male  Markey1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2015, 01:33 PM

What I never can understand , for years we had uneployment figures in there millions in this country , but every week theres ten of thousands coming to this country ,
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2015, 02:06 PM

Many long term unemployed are in areas where there is no or very little work, ex mine towns and ex manufacturing towns. Only two ways to cure that and neither include cutting people's benefit. But people coming to the country don't go to those areas they come to areas where there is work.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2015, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Many long term unemployed are in areas where there is no or very little work, ex mine towns and ex manufacturing towns. .
In the area where I live both of our local MPs keep trumpeting about more jobs being available and what a great job the Government is doing etcetera yet the skills available in this area don't match those jobs so all that's happening in most cases is that outsiders come in to fill these wonderful jobs and only the very small percentage of semi-skilled or unskilled jobs are left for "locals".

It's a common problem in places like Milton Keynes where older industries have folded long ago because big companies have moved production to other areas with government handouts and / or tax breaks or they've gone overseas with cheap labour so all that was left for all those skilled engineers etcetera that we had in abundance around here is acres of warehouses, usually manned by a large percentage of East Europeans.

The upshot is that over the years our skilled people have gone to where they can get a job like London, which is under an hour away by train or they've actually moved because they were home owners.

What we now have in terms of a local Milton Keynes workforce is an ever-increasing percentage of semi-skilled or unskilled, council house dwelling local labour who are unable to afford to move to find work and have all their family living locally because that's what Milton Keynes New City wanted - at first.

Other new towns have the same problem as us too.

With good training or apprenticeships they could be a real credit to MK but nobody wants to train anyone these days; they'd rather go where labour's cheap and pay & conditions can be as piss-poor as they like because locals won't argue there.

What little industry that still produces any "good" jobs here with, perhaps, a good future are always over-subscribed into the 100s and even then the applicants are often from anything up to 30 miles away in radius. stevmk2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2015, 02:50 PM

Training is badly lacking has been for years, apprenticeships are iffy - some good but most just cheap labour. And very little for an aging population who need retraining. Help appears to be out there if you can afford it but most unemployed people and people on low wages can't.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

10-03-2015, 03:17 PM

Training is badly lacking has been for years, apprenticeships are iffy - some good but most just cheap labour. And very little for an aging population who need retraining. Help appears to be out there if you can afford it but most unemployed people and people on low wages can't.
Precisely Julie.
The aging population too isn't helped, as you rightly say.

I found that out a long time ago when 47 was described by someone I was interviewed by as being "a bit long in the tooth".
I was 47 at the time but luckily not everyone was as short-sighted as that plonker! stevmk2
Markey1
London

10-03-2015, 03:52 PM

Many long term unemployed are in areas where there is no or very little work, ex mine towns and ex manufacturing towns. Only two ways to cure that and neither include cutting people's benefit. But people coming to the country don't go to those areas they come to areas where there is work.

Your 100% right ,
But how I look at it we have I think 3 million plus on the dole , instead of letting in more cheap labour from over seas , and most of them go on the dole anyway , we don't live in a bottomless pit of money , invest money were it most needed like old mining towns , as at the the moment all our resource are being eating up , like ten of thousand in this country is beening advistise in far off lands each week , why , we got 3 million plus on the dole , there's thousands here would give their right hand to get a job that pays their bills ,

In my line of work we do few jobs on building sites , these days to find a English man working is like gold dust , give you a instance that happen in Enfield , we were working along Turkey street , mc Nicholas civil engineers guys were working in the same road , we got speaking to a group of the lads that were working for this firm , one of the question was if they had plenty of work , the guys said , see that group of lads laying edging , they work for the same firm but are from Eastern European , they do excate same work as the English lads , but earn £40 to £50 less aday, the English guys said yes we got plenty of work , but are scared in losing our jobs , so they can replace us with cheap labour, it doesn't matter if you been a loyal worker to the company for years , fact of the matter you can be push out and replace but cheap labour, and there tens of thousands of company's doing it , hence were they advistise uk jobs in far of lands

Page 8 of 21 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 18 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top