Join for free
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2010, 03:01 PM

Fuel charges

I recently received an email to tell me my current electricity tariff is about to expire (I don't have gas) and a recommendation to change to a new tariff which offers a 2% discount below the standard tariff if I sign up for a one year period.

Last year I signed up to a tariff which offered 4% discount below the standard tariff so I decided a 2% discount this year is rather low and I looked on a number of price comparison websites to see if I could find a better deal.

A couple of the websites suggested the best tariff for me comes from the company I am currently with, but they were unable to switch me over because it is for new not existing customers only.
So much for being a good customer and reading my own meter monthly then entering the figure online and paying by monthly direct debit

I rang the my current supplier and told them I was moving my account and surprise surprise the unavailable tariff suddenly became available.

The moral is check your fuel consumption with care and don't be afraid to telephone and confront your supplier with any better deal you may be aware of either with them or elsewhere.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2010, 03:31 PM

Re: Fuel charges

Good for you Meg. My Daughters phone was not working properly (a cracking noise when in use) so she got on to the supplier and said she was having nothing but trouble since she changed over to them and threatened to return to her old supplier. It was fixed that day and she got a reduction in her call charges for a year.
welshgit
llanybydder, wales
welshgit is male  welshgit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2010, 03:50 PM

Well done for posting this Meg and I couldn't agree more

Al
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2010, 03:50 PM

That's the best thing to do Meg! I did the same and got a whopping discount - I was annoyed and said why didn't anyone tell me about this offer before? The reply was that it had only just come on - yeah right!
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2010, 06:33 PM

I`ve done this twice with Virgin Broadband because they have a habit of offering low rates for new customers. I say `What if I leave then come back then?` and they magically offer me the low rate. I also get free TV on cable which saves the price of a box.
Manxman
Manchester, UK
Manxman is male  Manxman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2010, 07:59 PM

Well done.

Companies have to keep an eye on how many customers they churn, as it is reported to the shareholders, so making it a valid way for us to get VFM for the services we take.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2010, 10:01 PM

Well done Meg. When I see different adverts offering discounts etc. to new customers only, I've often thought that does seem very unfair to existing customers who may have been with them for years, so I'm going to keep your post in mind......
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2010, 11:13 PM

I wont sign up for 'paper free' options, they are putting people out of work that way so I try to keep people employed.
As for searching for the best deals, I could not be bothered with the hassle of keep changing.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top