Join for free
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2015, 03:24 PM

Aubergines?

My local greengrocer (yes, we still have a few proper shops where I live) has been having a tidy out and was selling a load of fruit & veg that was a bit past it, at reduced prices.
I can now keep myself in salads, vegetables, & stews for ages.
I'll probably make up a large batch of stew and freeze it

One assorted bagful included lots of aubergines, something I hardly ever cook. So, have you any suggestions of what to do with them, bearing in mind that they are a bit scruffy?
Or should I just put them in the stew?
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2015, 03:42 PM

Re: Aubergines?

The only time I buy aubergines is when I'm making moussaka but equally depending on what other veg you got, you could make ratatouille or add some chopped to a bolognese sauce. Its not my favourite veg but I do like moussaka.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2015, 04:03 PM

Either ratatouille or moussaka would freeze well also.
You could also look on line for recipes for aubergines, I did a vegetarian bake which called for quite a lot of aubergines a few months ago.
I'm not a massive fan of them but the flavours in that were lovely.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2015, 04:09 PM

I sometimes chop them and mix them with mushrooms and onions and tomatoes fry them for a little then add stock and cook little longer, then put them in a dish and cover with mashed potatoes and bake. A sort vegetarian cottage pie. You can use quite scruffy ones up in that dish.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2015, 04:10 PM

Hi Geoff I am not a fan of 'past it' vegetables because much of the goodness will have gone out of them along with the flavour.

I use Aubergine in a Roast Vegetable Lasagne similar to this one but mine has mushrooms in too also roasted...
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1...etable-lasagne

For any spare Aubergine I love them as crisps...
Rub 2 baking sheets with olive oil, slice the Aubergine really thinly and place in rows on the baking sheets.
With a pastry brush dust each one with olive oil then season with salt and pepper.

Place in warm oven about 150 swapping the trays around occasionally.
Remove when cooked and golden brown.
I eat them just like that as a snack hot from the oven or they can be served this way as a vegetable.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2015, 05:01 PM

I have been making a nice recipe lately with aubergines .
I drizzle the sliced aubegines with olive oil and roast in the oven .
Meanwhile cook onion , garlic and tinned chopped tomatoes .
let it simmer till the sauce thickens .
Layer up the roast aubergines with the tomato sauce in between.
Make a cheese sauce for the top and then sprinkle with grated cheese .
Bake in the oven for about 30 mins .
Enjoy !!!
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2015, 08:52 PM

Thanks for your advice, I now know what I'm doing

I have aubergines, onions, leeks, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, mushrooms, celery and other salad veg, loads of fruit, plus the usual kitchen staples.
I will wash, sort & trim everything, then leave it overnight in cold water to swell.

Any decent cauliflower, broccoli & carrots I will use as straight vegetables

I'll make a herby, cheesy, vegetable bake, with a salad. This will need a glass or two of red wine to wash it down

Anything left will be made into a stew and frozen, in single servings

You can probably guess why I'll also be having a lot of fruit salad

Ever heard the saying 'Your eyes are bigger than your belly'?
Freshfields
Ayrshire, Scotland
Freshfields is female  Freshfields has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 05:06 PM

For any spare Aubergine I love them as crisps...
Rub 2 baking sheets with olive oil, slice the Aubergine really thinly and place in rows on the baking sheets.
With a pastry brush dust each one with olive oil then season with salt and pepper.

Place in warm oven about 150 swapping the trays around occasionally.
Remove when cooked and golden brown.
I eat them just like that as a snack hot from the oven or they can be served this way as a vegetable.

I like the sound of that Meg, I have an aubergine in the fridge I'll try and have a go at the crisps when I have time
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2015, 01:59 PM

For future reference, this is a great recipe, especially for aubergine that is past its prime. It calls for cream and Parmesan cheese, so it's creamy and delicious. Must make it again soon.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ta-recipe.html

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top