Join for free
Page 12 of 13 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2017, 11:40 AM

Re: Changing a wall light switch

Why on earth would Lindy need to refer to an Electrical Forum elsewhere when there is enough knowledge and experience on this forum to wire up a small town. I take note that there are several electricians in the autumn of their careers attending this forum - and a few cocky barstewards [like me] who although are not qualified electricians have learnt the trade from the university of life [and a few jolts up the elbow].....

If the worst comes to the worst and someone gets lost in the forest of information, we could nominate an Electrician to have the final call after weighing up all of the information and illustrations provided. This could also be done with Plumbers, Builders [it would give Tpin something to do now he has shed his business] Joiners and Mechanics.....
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2017, 12:15 PM

Any undertakers on the forum?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2017, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
If ever I need electrical advice I always try the electrician forums - where they delight in not telling you anything.
Especially if you are a plumber!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2017, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Especially if you are a plumber!
or a handyman?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2017, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
or a handyman?
Frog up.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2017, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Why on earth would Lindy need to refer to an Electrical Forum elsewhere when there is enough knowledge and experience on this forum to wire up a small town. I take note that there are several electricians in the autumn of their careers attending this forum - and a few cocky barstewards [like me] who although are not qualified electricians have learnt the trade from the university of life [and a few jolts up the elbow].....

If the worst comes to the worst and someone gets lost in the forest of information, we could nominate an Electrician to have the final call after weighing up all of the information and illustrations provided. This could also be done with Plumbers, Builders [it would give Tpin something to do now he has shed his business] Joiners and Mechanics.....
It's just that some individuals on this forum were whingeing about us offering advice, and were convinced that she'd electrocute herself if she did what we said.

So I thought they might be a little happier if I pointed her toward a forum populated by qualified electricians.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2017, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by tpin ->
or a handyman?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England

14-02-2017, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
How droll, why don't you play on the motorway.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2017, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Fender, how do you get a safety inspection, who does that please?
How long (average) does wiring last before a property might need rewiring?
If you do decide to have an Electrical Condition Report done Mups, be sure to get a reputable electrician in to do it for you. I carry out these reports for mortgage requirements and for rental properties and occasionally am asked to check over the reports issued by others. You'd be surprised at some of the items on these reports that state that certain items are dangerous when they are nothing of the sort - it's their company's way of trying to do drum up work.

For example, Lindy's problem with her light-switch revealed that her lighting wiring was possibly at least forty years old and had no integral earth in the cable. This complied with the Electrical Regulations in force at the time when it was wired. Provided that the wiring hasn't been compromised by having metal light-switches and fitting installed it is quite safe and merely merits a `Requires improvement` notification. Some firms/electricians will state that it's dangerous when in fact it isn't. All that's needed in that case is a recommendation of having RCD protection installed and at the very least fit a warning label on the consumer unit (fuse box) stating which circuit hasn't got the integral earth to warn of not fitting metal items to the circuit.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2017, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
If you do decide to have an Electrical Condition Report done Mups, be sure to get a reputable electrician in to do it for you. I carry out these reports for mortgage requirements and for rental properties and occasionally am asked to check over the reports issued by others. You'd be surprised at some of the items on these reports that state that certain items are dangerous when they are nothing of the sort - it's their company's way of trying to do drum up work.

For example, Lindy's problem with her light-switch revealed that her lighting wiring was possibly at least forty years old and had no integral earth in the cable. This complied with the Electrical Regulations in force at the time when it was wired. Provided that the wiring hasn't been compromised by having metal light-switches and fitting installed it is quite safe and merely merits a `Requires improvement` notification. Some firms/electricians will state that it's dangerous when in fact it isn't. All that's needed in that case is a recommendationof having RCD protection installed and at the very least fit a warning label on the consumer unit (fuse box) stating which circuit hasn't got the integral earth to warn of not fitting metal items to the circuit.
Well said.

Page 12 of 13 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top