Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
mazzie
Scotland
mazzie is female 

06-02-2010, 08:24 PM

Re: Do you leave your Wireless Router on all the time?

I switched mine off every night when I first got it and had a few problems. I was advised to leave it on. The only time I switch off is when I go on holiday.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2010, 09:11 PM

Cheers again to you all. Maybe that's why I keep getting disconnected alot then. I'll leave the Sky router turned on and see how it goes. Thanks
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2010, 09:43 PM

I've never had a problem caused by turning the modem and router off when it's not in use. This isn't a stand-by mode either but a total mains switch off. It takes about 15 seconds for the modem to connect again when the power is turned back on.

Regarding that monitoring. When you are not actually using the Internet, there won't be anything to monitor whether the modem is switched on or off. They might want to check to see if you are connected but I wonder why? The only time there'll be any speed to measure will be when you are active on the Net.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2010, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I've never had a problem caused by turning the modem and router off when it's not in use. This isn't a stand-by mode either but a total mains switch off. It takes about 15 seconds for the modem to connect again when the power is turned back on.

Regarding that monitoring. When you are not actually using the Internet, there won't be anything to monitor whether the modem is switched on or off. They might want to check to see if you are connected but I wonder why? The only time there'll be any speed to measure will be when you are active on the Net.
Sometimes the server may send updates for the modem during the night so leaving it on is good advice, . . it's similar to your freeview box for the TV, . . never turn that off either, . . you've probably seen a picture on your TV sometimes saying not to change channels because a software update is coming through.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2010, 10:28 PM

Been turning off for too many years with no ill-effects to behave any different now . I do see that on TV occasionally. That's when I'm watching though, so that service doesn't seem to operate only during stand-by times.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2010, 05:14 PM

I didn't realise you could turn the wireless router on and off, so it is always on. I thought as long as the computers were off you were OK. I have such a lot to learn about computer technology and as fast as I learn stuff seems there is even more new stuff waiting. Gotta to keep up, but its so time consuming
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2010, 05:32 PM

In the next couple of days my Broadband is going over to Sky from AOL.

Do you have it writing,signed in blood and witnessed that AO Hell have agreed? They are slippery scum bags to put it midly.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2010, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Old git ->

Do you have it writing,signed in blood and witnessed that AO Hell have agreed? They are slippery scum bags to put it midly.
I nearly went to SKY from AOL when I wanted to go wireless, but eventually stayed with AOL as they gave me a deal (like they always do when they want to keep a customer). It remains to be seen whether I have done the right thing. Hope all goes well for you when you change over.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2010, 06:16 PM

I wondered what you were on about - then I realised you were quoting someone!

You can use the [quote] tags to quote people OG. Just put the quote inside those tags, eg:

[quote]This is the quoted text[/quote]

Which will give you:

This is the quoted text
Also, you can put someone's name in the first part of the tag too, eg:

[quote=TheQueen]This is the quoted text[/quote]

Which will give you:

Originally Posted by TheQueen
This is the quoted text
Or you can just click on the quote icon for the post you want to quote
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2010, 07:44 PM

Yes they do put it in writing and they also send you information that you need to know like, username, passwords etc to put onto your router when you set it up.

What I really miss about AOL which I can't get anywhere else is to be able to put photos straight onto an email, you have to attach them on other mail packages. I really miss that.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top