Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
fuzzy finker
Kent, UK
fuzzy finker is male  fuzzy finker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2009, 11:33 PM

Re: Ready for the snow tomorrow?

The BBC have been forecasting up to 20cms starting from about 6pm tomorrow for our area. I do hope they're wrong 'cos I live at the bottom of the hill and we always get snowed in... Such a bind...

Had a fair bit drop today, luckily it's not stayed around.
Bridie
northants
Bridie is female  Bridie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2009, 11:49 PM

we dont usually get much but I went and got 2 new tyres on my car as I had two baldys so I'm ready for anything now
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2009, 11:57 PM

Just a 30% chance of snow here Saturday. Picturesque yes, but I hate it, cold. wet, has to be shoveled, and the buses often don't run as I live in a hilly part of town. Bah humbug!
fuzzy finker
Kent, UK
fuzzy finker is male  fuzzy finker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2009, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by doglover ->
we dont usually get much but I went and got 2 new tyres on my car as I had two baldys so I'm ready for anything now
I've got a baldy behind my steering wheel...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2009, 12:34 AM

I hate the snow I live on a no through road at the bottom of a little hill so if it snows even the slightest bit I get cut off from the main road.

The nearest shop is two miles away so it is quite a long walk to carry shopping if the weather is bad ( I am usually stocked up in case of problems).
sjbo659
Alaska
sjbo659 is male  sjbo659 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2009, 12:43 AM

We've had about 18" in the past two days and its suppose to snow for the next week. I have been plowing round the clock and no let up in site. But it means dollars. lol Cassie is my co pilot and she loves it.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2009, 12:47 AM

Too many people here ignore the provision about shoveling sidewalks so walking can be very dangerous... or walk in the streets which isn't such a good idea. I have never known anyone to get a citation for unshovelled walks....and if the buses aren't running, you are literally trapped indoors!
sjbo659
Alaska
sjbo659 is male  sjbo659 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2009, 12:56 AM

Guess were lucky here Eileen. In Town they keep the walks shovled pretty good in the main part of town. Lots of people like me who own trucks with plows contract to private people and thats what we do in the winters while the city keeps the roads open and the buses running. But there are still those who get impatient and walk in the streets before the walks are open. Dumb move when you consider it doesn't even get light until about 10 in the morning. Just yesterday in the paper there was a girl who was indicted for manslaughter becuase she hit some guy wearing dark cloths and walking on Black Ice last winter. Of course she was not arrested at the time and was just indicted. They say she had weed in her system? But even that is a stretch as far as I am concerned. If the guy wearing dark cloths had been on the side walk instead of the road way the accident would have never occured.
Funky Farmer
Bedfordshire, UK
Funky Farmer is male  Funky Farmer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2009, 02:29 AM

I'm ready ...Orders being taken now for delivery in June
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

17-12-2009, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by sjbo659 ->
Guess were lucky here Eileen. In Town they keep the walks shovled pretty good in the main part of town. Lots of people like me who own trucks with plows contract to private people and thats what we do in the winters while the city keeps the roads open and the buses running. But there are still those who get impatient and walk in the streets before the walks are open. Dumb move when you consider it doesn't even get light until about 10 in the morning. Just yesterday in the paper there was a girl who was indicted for manslaughter becuase she hit some guy wearing dark cloths and walking on Black Ice last winter. Of course she was not arrested at the time and was just indicted. They say she had weed in her system? But even that is a stretch as far as I am concerned. If the guy wearing dark cloths had been on the side walk instead of the road way the accident would have never occured.
Yes, over on the Avenue the sidewalks are shovelled and the streets either plowed or gritted. But I'm on a residential street which is not a first priority for plowing, so it is a nightmare when we have a really bad snow. Washington is notorious for its poor handling of snow ..I was born and raised here and it's aways like that. When I was younger I thought nothing of walking thru the snow to get to the commercial district, but now that I'm old get scared of falling and breaking a hip! It's going to be a long Winter!

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top