Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2018, 12:01 PM

Re: A United Ireland ???

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Thanks for replying

What about the population of Northern Ireland who identify as British, the population that supported the division ?
You could say the same about the Brits who live in countries which were formerly part of the empire, their ancestors had no right to have taken those countries over.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2018, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
The troubles in Ireland began long before that, UJ, before even Henry VIII was around!

I would dearly love to see a United Ireland - but - the British contingent in NI voted, with the rest of the UK, to escape from the tyranny of Europe. Unfortunately Eire is still part of that. Unless our President takes Eire out of europe I cannot see NI wanting to be united.

What I do not want to see is another blood bath!
Unfortunately Ni voted against Brexit which is why SF are calling for a referendum

Whilst Im all for a referendum , calling it on the back of Brexit is wrong.. You will have people who want to leave Europe but wanting unification having to chose which of the two evils they can do without
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2018, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Britain invaded Ireland as they did with so much of the world, they had no business to be there. The uprising was Ireland trying to get rid of the invader. Holding on to the North did no one any favours and caused the terrible problems with the IRA further down the line. No I don't support the IRA and all the evil they perpetrated, but Britain has to take responsibility for its part in its treatment of that country.
Hi

Missy and Silver Tabby know far more about the situation than others.

They are both intelligent and articulate and neither of them want a bloodbath.

We cannot undo what happened centuries ago.

What we can do is listen to what the Irish themselves want.

If Northern Ireland wants to stay, so be it.

What I will not have is Eire using Brexit to force a United Ireland.

If we are to return to a hard border that will be entirely down to Varadkar being pig headed and playing a very dangerous Political Game.

The UK is trying everything it can to avoid this, Varadkar is obstructing every proposal.

We should make it perfectly clear that of he persists there will not only be a hard border in Ireland, but there will be an end of the Common Travel Area and Irish Citizens will require visas to work in the UK.

His choice, his decision.

It would ruin the Irish Agricultural Economy at a stroke.

His political career would be finished.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2018, 12:05 PM

You could say the same about the Brits who live in countries which were formerly part of the empire, their ancestors had no right to have taken those countries over.

We we cant because those countries are no longer part of the UK, other then I think Gibraltar and falklands , both countries having voted to stay

l
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2018, 01:19 PM

You really do need to stop apologising for what happened in the past. Move on!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2018, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
You really do need to stop apologising for what happened in the past. Move on!
I am not apologising, it wasn't down to me. However, Britain can't move on until the wrongs of the past are righted, imo.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2018, 10:10 PM

They had every right.....
It's called 'evolution' Tara, Vikings take over Britain, Romans take over Britain.....You can't apologise for what happened in history, you have to draw a line under it and move on. Otherwise we will forever be putting right the wrongs of the past.....That's if you could call them wrongs...Big fish eats little fish....United States, Australia, Canada, to name but a few.....All good outcomes.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2018, 10:25 PM

I am not apologising, it wasn't down to me. However, Britain can't move on until the wrongs of the past are righted, imo.
What a sad repressed creature you are, totally without humour and bitter. I see you now, dressed in sackcloth, scourging yourself for the sins of the Empire. Revelling in stories of the abuse forced upon the fuzzie wuzzies on the Black continent.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2018, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by rehab44 ->
what a sad repressed creature you are, totally without humour and bitter. I see you now, dressed in sackcloth, scourging yourself for the sins of the empire. Revelling in stories of the abuse forced upon the fuzzie wuzzies on the black continent.
Such is life Rehab.....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2018, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Unfortunately Ni voted against Brexit which is why SF are calling for a referendum

Whilst Im all for a referendum , calling it on the back of Brexit is wrong.. You will have people who want to leave Europe but wanting unification having to chose which of the two evils they can do without
Ooops - my mistake - I thought they had voted along with the rest of the UK. Thanks Missy.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top