Join for free
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 06:52 PM

Cabbage Palms

Has anyone managed to keep a cabbage palm alive over winter? Some of my wife`s prized specimens up to 15feet tall appear to have died and are turning to mush. Do I chop them down or will they regenerate? All advice gratefully received.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2011, 08:37 PM

Re: Cabbage Palms

Do you mean cordylines Plantman? If they are, I have never grown them, but the condition of yours sound like some I have noticed in gardens around here. Doesn''t sound good if they are turning to mush, but if you look a bit later on you may find them growing from low down. Then you could cut down the ones showing growth and they maybe OK - although they might not make 15 foot for a while.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2011, 01:42 PM

Yes Aerolor they are cordylines (apparently). My better half cut the weakest one down this morning as she thought is was in bad shape anyway, and found it to be quite rotten inside. After some persuading though she has decided to leave the stronger specimens until spring to see if they recover or sprout new shoots. If not we will axe those as well. Thanks for you help.
marilyno07
Gloucestershire
marilyno07 is female  marilyno07 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2011, 09:27 AM

I had 4 cordylines - and again one was over 15ft (20 years old) have now taken them all out - which is such a shame - especially the tall one which made my garden remind me of the seaside.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2011, 01:23 PM

There was a bit on the TV recently about cordylines and how much damage the bad winter has done to them. One lady had a great big tree sized one which looked as if it was completely finished. She was advised (I think it was on Monty Don's programme) to cut the dead away just leaving the stump and then he was confident the plant would grow from below.
Manxman
Manchester, UK
Manxman is male  Manxman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2011, 03:55 PM

The Isle of Man has an awful lot of these, donated by the ANZAKs in and after WW2.

The Island splits the Mexican gulf stream, so hard frost's are rare but not unknown.

From what I have seen they thrive in sandy soil and I have seen Council Gardeners and armature gardeners pruning all dead foliage in autumn, and later in the year wrapping hay and covering in sacking or the like. I presume to keep the head of the tree dry?

How about mailing the Grardens department of Douglas Town Council for advice. This is the main address. enquiries@douglas.gov.im

I hope this helps, the trees take such a long time to grow it is a pity to lose one.

Adrian.
marilyno07
Gloucestershire
marilyno07 is female  marilyno07 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2011, 04:52 PM

Trouble is if your plant is well over 15ft how can you cover it.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

11-05-2011, 06:59 PM

I removed all ours and they were just mush inside. Non at all have survived locally, and we have also lost all of our caeonothus, escalonias and many eucalyptus gunnii as well. Pretty tough winter, would you say?
marilyno07
Gloucestershire

12-05-2011, 09:15 AM

We were down in Cornwall 2 weeks ago - the majority of palms seemed ok but there were some that were killed off.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top