Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 12:01 AM

Re: Bees and butterflies

Originally Posted by Mups ->

I've got bedding plants I still haven't planted, because it was too cold when they were tiny, then when they were ready I hadn't cleared the bed of Sweet Williams still in full flower. Now they are all flowering in the cell trays, the bed is clear but the ground is baked to dust.
Can you put them in pots? I daren't even try to plant anything in the ground right now, it's rock solid. My two barren peonies are still in pots until we have a wet spell!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 05:41 AM

I suppose having a really small garden with high walls like me means I can keep the soil moist without too much effort, I see lots of bees and butterflies, maybe because I have many climbing plants that cover the walls roses clematis hydrangeas. Also last year I had lots of those bright blue dragon flies I haven't seen them yet but maybe it's too early.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2017, 07:16 AM

I know I'm in a completely different climate, but I think they're all a bit later this year in a lot of places.
We have a field way out in the back forty with dandelions, daisies, and the like, which we let go wild for the bees - all those 'plants" were later flowering this year. So the bees were later coming.
Now though I swear they're throwing parties out there on an hourly basis!!
And they've found their way to my gardens. It's ear candy!!

I've not had a problem with slugs so far, but we do have way more ants than normal. Hopefully they won't become problematic.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top